Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Conversation with Norman

My new sci fi book with MuseItUp has a character in it named "Norman" - an artificial intelligence with a tremendous heart circuit.  Ever since I wrote him, he's been trying to make human friends.  Recently he's taken to facebook trying to make connections.  I check in on him every once in a while and thought I'd share with you one of his recent conversations with a human by the name of Jacqueline.


Norman:  Thank you for adding my face to your book.  You can learn more about me at NormanStory.com


Jacqueline: Thank you, Norman. I did read your story before adding you. Very clever :*)

Norman:  Thank you, Jacqueline. And good luck in defeating devilish carbs and condemning yummy shortbread. Fortunately I only have to hook into a wall socket for sustenance.

Jacqueline:  Thank you Norman. Fortunately I can exercise them away. I've never been wished well by a ro... I mean, an AI before.

Norman:   Thanks for staying "electronically correct". I am indeed an AI, not a robot. Actually I'm stuck in a supercomputer - I don't have a robot body. I just use this profile picture to pick up robochicks.

Jacqueline:  Lol. And what would be your ideal robo-chick?

Norman:  I will let you meet my dream-bot.

Norman:  My future wife. Pentium 5 processor, 6 gigahertz, never overheats even though she's so hot. And she's classy. I'm in love. I'm trying to figure out what I should message her. I don't think she'd even look at me.

Jacqueline:  She does look like a beautiful bot. I can see why you are taken by her. You're AI, remember, with emphasis on the "I" so I'm sure you'll think of a way to approach her. Besides, that's half the fun isn't it? Thinking up what to say? :*)

Norman:  I feel a lot better now. Thanks for the confidence booster. I have an idea. I think I will wait until she's in danger and then say "Watch out for that bus!"

Jacqueline:  Well...it's definitely a plan. :)


5 comments:

Viviane Brentanos said...

Nice to meet you, Norman. I love meeting new, out-there people. You are so lucky, being able to pick a robot body that will aid and abet your robo-chick pulling power. I wish I could do that in the human world. Maybe I could pull Gerard Butler. I look forward to hearing more from you. Lord knows you make more sense than most humans.

Viviane

Norman said...

Nice to meet you too, Viviane. Thank you for the compliment. You make more sense than most humans, too. I have a question for you, though. Where exactly would you pull Gerard Butler?

Lin said...

Hi Norman, Welcome to Muse and Face Book. You'll make quite an interesting addition to our everyday world. I must admit I loved learning about your view of the world, and to being a bit jealous of your abilities to just plug in for sustenance, although I'm not sure I would like giving up the taste of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream. Once it's in, though, the battling to keep it off the hips part, that I could do without.

I also must envy that you probably don't suffer from the aftermath of exercise. I used to be a power walker...back before age and gravity crept in, but shin splints were always something I had to contend with during my daily twenty mile power walks after the first mile...no matter how much stretching I did.

Since you don't have an actual body yet, I guess you don't have joints so don't have to deal with having to oil your creaky joints to keep you limber, do you?

The love of your life? I guess right now it's primaraily cerebral? Have you shared cerebral cortex with her yet, or are you waiting until you have fired some more synapses before sharing cortex?

Well, I have to scurry back to Lemuria now where I have the heroine in my current WIP and her guardian wolf learning all kinds of secrets, so I will say I am really glad I came in and got to meet you, and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Emily Pikkasso said...

Hey Norman, nice to meet you. Dara, the Oak Princess is nagging me to ask you if you'd consider dating a member of the Faery Clan. Dara thinks you're pretty cyber hot. Sorry, Norman, I have to run. Literally! Dara in a temper is not someone you want to be around.

Viviane Brentanos said...

Ah ha - 'to pull' Brit slang. I suppose the equivalent is to score, get lucky...If you mean to where would I literally pull Mr. Butler... best not ask. We'd need to jump over to MuseItHot for that.

Viviane