Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Character vignette: Polydeukes, from Dioscuri (YA Urban Fantasy novella)

What is the price of a war against the immortal gods?

Hey, folks, pleasure to meet you. Let me introduce myself. I’m Pol, short for Polydeukes, the handsome. Heh. Okay, it was fun seeing you roll your eyes, now to business.

I’m twenty, male, Greek and twin brother of Kast, short for Kastor. We’re both Zeus’ sons, so they call us Dioscuri. It all makes sense in Greek, I swear.

Then again, you’ll have to take my word for it, won’t you – like the fact that I’m a handsome SOB.

Now, my life would have been perfect here in Athens – good food, pretty chicks, ouzo and smashing plates in the dance clubs – if it wasn’t for a couple of little problems.

One, the ancient Greek gods (and goddesses, ahem) have returned and want their territory back. A war has started between the mortals and the immortals – a war of life or death, playing out in every street and neighborhood.

Second, the war has just claimed my brother’s life. He died in battle, fighting, trying to save me.

Kast didn’t know that unlike him, I’m immortal. I never told him. I thought I could protect him. Turns out I was wrong.

But I’m not crying, am I? I’m not weeping and tearing my hair out. Wanna know why?

Because I brought him back. I made a deal with a god and brought Kast back to life. We alternate days alive, and I pretend to be Kastor, so nobody will know the truth. It helps that we’re identical twins, nobody can really tell us apart.

Kast doesn’t know about any of this, and can’t find out, because the deal will be off. But, damn it, he seems to suspect something. Could my perfect imitation of him have a flaw? I’m doing my best to sound shy and moody, like he is most of the damn time.

Now if Zeus finds out, it’s a different story. He’ll go bonkers. An angry father of the gods can be a major pain in the butt. He’ll force me to break the deal and send Kast to Hades, the world of the dead.

I can’t allow that. Uh uh, sorry, dad. Got your handsome face, but thankfully also mom’s brains. I’ll find a solution that will allow Kast and me to be together again – brothers and best friends.

At least I hope so. Wish me luck.

MEET THE AUTHOR

15 comments:

Kat said...

Yes the Gods do make life complicated. But I have no doubt someone as smart as you will figure out a solution.:-)

Roseanne Dowell said...

I wish you luck, Pol. That's a crazy situation to be in. I sure hope you find the solution.

Paul and Karen said...

Sounds like a fun read!

Krista D. Ball said...

Awesome!

Chrystalla said...

Thank you for the nice comments! The story is fun, I hope you like it!

Ginger Simpson said...

Pol, and I thought having a bum leg was a pain in the butt, but your problem beats mine hands down. You sound like a very loving brother, but you might want to consider toning down your conceit a bit. You're supposed to let other people tell you how good looking you are. But, If you can't get over yourself, I have a school pep captain who'd make a perfect girlfriend for you...that is if you can find a way to get here. I'll send the address in a separate email...uh, do you do email?

I have to admit, the person who created your story had some imagination. Congratulate your author for me.

Sincerely,
Cindy Johnson
(From Ginger Simpson's YA, Shortcomings)

Chrystalla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrystalla said...

Nice to meet you, Cindy. Sorry about your leg. But hey, let's have a drink together sometime, what do you say?
And I do let people tell me that I'm good-looking. I never stop them. ;-)

Jean Davis said...

I can't wait to read more about you, Pol. You sound like a very interesting guy.

Erika Gilbert said...

What an interesting take on the Dioscuri - I look forward to hearing more.

Lin said...

Pol, are you REALLY twenty? I thought the gods had toned down their...ahem...carnal exploits since humans stopped you know, rebuilding their temples and leaving their tithings?

Although, now that I think about it, I have met a few men over the years who thought they were Zeus' gift to women...so maybe I'm wrong. You do have a "Healthy" ego, which they say...in all those old myth books, Zeus had a really healthy ego.

Since you're immortal and your brother isn't he must not be Zeus', yet how can you be identical twins? Did Zeus do something to you while you were still inside your Mom to alter your mortailty but not your brother's?

Holy Godstuff, I hope you avoid going anywhere near the human doctors or we're going to see you in Greece's equivalent of America's Area 54.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll outwit your Dad and everyone else so you can share life with your brother again.

Marion Sipe said...

Oh, Pol, you are a card! *pauses* Or did I mean cad? Hmm... One way or another, good luck to you!

And to your author!

Merc said...

Well, Pol, you just convinced me to read your story. Not that I take much convincing. O:)

Chrystalla said...

lol! Thanks, folks, see you in the story!

Rebecca Ryals Russell said...

Sounds like an interesting take on the Greek classics. Curious to see how Pol saves the day.