Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Top 5 Favorite Costume Ideas



What’s the best part about a masquerade? The costumes! So come dressed in your favorite outlandish outfits as I dish my top five favorite Halloween costumes.

#5: The Paper Bag Princess

Not only is it a beloved children’s tale, it’s a cost efficient costume, too! I bought a half dozen paper bags large enough to cover my five-foot-nine body -- all for less than $20.00 at Wal-Mart! Of course, the downside is it’s propensity to tear… It won’t last all day, but it’ll last an hour or two at a party.

#4: Prom Dresses Galore!

This one never goes out of style. Instead of wearing that fancy dress once, why not spice it up with a little faux blood or a princess crown?

#3: A blast from the past!

This is a perfect opportunity to wear some old memorabilia cowering at the back of your closet (or, in my case, my mother’s closet). In the above picture, my sister (the blond on the right) is dressed as a 1920s flapper!

#2: Add an exotic touch

I love to dress in another country’s styles. At home, I have a real kimono (which I don’t remember the proper way to tie), an Americanized dress/kimono, and a colorful pair of wrap-around pants from India! Break out those souvenirs you (or other family members) brought home from the last trip abroad, and have fun!

#1: Your Favorite Character

What’s better than dressing up as a character from your favorite TV show, movie, or book? If your favorite character is from a modern TV series, you might be able to find a stellar outfit that you can reuse without breaking your bank account. In the above picture, I’m dressed as Scarlett O’Hara (left).


Lindsay Below is the author of Lurkers, a young adult novel coming from MuseItUp in July 2011. Her middle grade novel, Same Old Lie will be released from MuseItUp in November 2011.  Visit her at www.lbelow.com

3 comments:

Killarney said...

Another great costume idea is going as a bunch of grapes, all you need is a bag of green or purple balloons and a roll of duct tape to stickem' on you!

L. K. Below said...

Good idea, Killarney!

Roseanne Dowell said...

awfully hard to sit down in, I'd think