Saturday, October 2, 2010

Poems I'd Like to Share by Nancy M Bell

Welcome to Day 2 of the October Masquerade Bash! I thought I would share some poetry with you today. October is about beginings and endings. The begining of cold weather and the end of summer`s heat, so these poems also deal with transitions. I hope you enjoy them. Nancy





Bitter Ashes





The taste of bitter ashes on my tongue


All the more potent for their age


The things I should have said


Coiled about the things I did say





Time slides by in endless flood


Bearing my choices out of reach


Things I can`t change


Things I wouldn`t change





The line from an old Kristofferson song


``I`d rather be sorry for something I`ve done


Than for something that I didn`t do.``


Oh, the things I didn`t do!





Choices that affected other`s lives


More compassion here, more forgiveness there


The phone calls I didn`t make


The words I didn`t say





The taste of bitter ashes on my tongue


More potent for their age








How





How do I let you go?


I could rip my heart from chest


Smother its beating, yet it would still mourn your loss


Silent cries echoing across the skies





How do I sever the silver thread


That binds your path to mine?


How do I let you go


When each day is still filled with you?





How do I cauterize the bleeding wound


Left by your going?


The bright blood flows across the floor


Tracing where you walked, following you still





How do I let you go


When all my steps lead back to you?


Pale tears falling in a watery pink dawn


While the purple crocus bloom beside your headstone





October Geese





Twice a year when the wild geese go over


I think of you.


The brisk whisk of their wings in the wind


They fly black against the sunset sky





Older than me by forty years


Still we are sisters under the skin


A knowing that extends beyond this life


Bonds forged in the fire of earth's youth





On Samhain Eve you travelled on


Leaving with the banner of October flying


Wild geese cried across Channel Rock


Your spirit; earth anchored no more


Flew with them





The wild geese flying and their voice in the sky


Connected us; a country apart


When the wild geese flew


We knew you thought of me


and I of you





When the wild geese fly


I believe you travel with them


Spirit flung against the brave sky


Your voice in their wild song


Your spirit on their wings





You travel where I cannot follow


My earth-bound spirit seeks release


For a moment; I join you in your flight


You and the wild geese flying

5 comments:

Emily Pikkasso said...

Hmmm, Bonella did you mess with the formating on my poems? Hmmmm???? Oh, well my readers will have to read around the lines instead of in between them. LOL My apologies for the wacky line spaces.

Nancy

PS be sure to take in my entertaining interview with Bonella due to be posted later. :~)

Roseanne Dowell said...

You have to watch that skinny bag of bones, she's mean. I don't know what her problem is. My interview with her is tomorrow and I shudder to think how that's going to turn out. I'm trying to set up an interview for my blog with her. We'll see how that goes. Not sure if she'll show up for it or not. Maybe I'll even post it here.

Karen McGrath said...

Beautiful poems, Nancy!

Susanne Drazic said...

Nancy, thanks for sharing your poems. I enjoyed them.

S.Durham said...

Just beautiful... Nancy. Thank you for sharing!

Sara