Monday, November 8, 2010

Mother of the Bride becomes BONELLA

Finally, the conclusion of THE WEDDING.

So we're back in the church...

but wait...why is the altar so bare of people?


Why is the bride still waiting in the limo? I'll tell you why. When we arrived the two best men came out and asked, "Where are the stefana/crowns?" My heart at this point starts to pump like mad. I get out of the limo, enter the church, and walk up the aisle to my mom, who was smiling and saying how pretty the big candles are.

"Mom, did you see the man who delivered the candles where he put the silver tray with the stefana?"

When mom turned white and shot her hand to her mouth I knew there was a BIG problem.

You see, you can have a thousand candles or no candles, but if you don't have those crowns to place on the bride and groom's head to bless, there's NO CEREMONY.

Now I'm a very calm person so I went in the office to call the store to see what happened and if they could PLEASE bring the stefana asap. The lady on the phone said the man forgot them in the truck. Now, I don't know but when you pay an arm and a leg for things and them being Greek knowing full well that the stefana are THE main items along with the rings needed to begin a ceremony, it begins to irk you the wrong way. An apology would have sufficed but I got a "things happen" response that had me forgetting I was in church at the moment. I only remembered when I heard the man who chants in the ceremony giggle. I apologized, hung up, and walked out of the office to let the mother in law know what was happening. Poor people were hearing me rant and rave in Greek but no idea what was happening.

A bit later the priest comes out of his office and tells me at this point (1:30 and the marriage was to be held at 1:00) that if the crowns don't come soon he won't have time to perform the ceremony because at 2:00 there was another event. Let me backtrack, at this point it was already about ten minutes past the time the rude lady on the phone told me the crowns would have arrived.

Now look closely at this picture...see the glum faces? See one of the best men looking down toward the door? See the shadow? That's me, a very angry and pissed off mother of the bride with my future son in law's cell, dialing and cursing...softly. Everything would not have exploded, I would not have said I was going to rip someone a new you know what IF that lady on the phone didn't tell me "Things happen, what do you want me to say. Next time come take the crowns yourself." Holy Toledo, she just didn't say that to me. No apology, no nothing. "If those crowns are not here in two minutes flat, you are getting the bill for this ceremony THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN unless your man gets here on time. You're BLEEPING Greek, how could you forget to deliver the crowns!!!" At this point I see the man running across the street with the silver tray and crowns. "I have nothing more to say to you until I see you in person next week. God help you!!!" and I hung up on her. Turning around I see all three limo drivers giving me thumbs up. I giggled and got back in the mood of the day.


My gals were happy campers albeit a bit embarressed at mom's, um...demeanor. GRIN.
The groom and his parents were relieved and I don't think there is going to be an Italian/Greek war. hehehehe They are, like I mentioned in my previous blog posting, a sweet and awesome family. The groom's smile is almost singing...GOING TO THE CHAPEL AND I'M GONNA BE MARRIED...

Hubby and me were delighted to go down the aisle with our beautiful daughter finally.

The ceremony begins.

The crowns were blessed, criss-crossed three times by one of my twins, the blessing continues with the drinking of the wine from the same goblet...


And yes, I shortened the church portion, gave you only the highlights of our woes that did turn out perfect at the end. The priest was fantastic; did the service in Greek and English with no hesitation, and sped through it like he was wearing Jim Hartley's Superman costume. hehehehe

and the bride and groom were pronounced man and wife, and we sped outta there for pics and then off to the hall where the dancing, drinking, and eating commenced.

To the happy couple who are off on a cruise...

I wish you nothing but love and happiness.

Mom

14 comments:

Rebecca Ryals Russell said...

Wow! What a tale to tell every Christmas around the tree with the grandbabies. Glad it all worked out. Glad I'm not that florist, too. Idiotic response. I'd have reacted the same way.

lionmother said...

Unbelievable!!! I had no idea those crowns were so important. It would be like not having a canopy for a Jewish wedding.:) I hope that you are going to be speaking with this business person.Tear her a new you know what.:)

Rosalie Skinner said...

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for your rant, Lea. No 'wet noodles' for the florist.
Glad it worked out ok.
Looks like a magic ceremony, complete with dramas.
Wouldn't make a good story to tell in years to come without a few hiccups.
Love and blessings to all the family.

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

A story in the making, as long as you can find some humor. Great job of sticking up for yourself, but then I never doubted you could. Cheers and long life to the happy couple.

Karen said...

Awesome event and beautiful family...WOW! A wedding to die for and you know, this gives me a great idea for my next murder/mystery

You're beautiful, Lea, as is your family. And the groom? HOT! HOT! But then your daughter is a very beautiful woman. I can only imagine the cruise guests envy.

Karen Cote

Anita Davison said...

What a lovely wedding, and a great story to tell to their kids - so glad it all turned out OK. Not that you want such a crisis on your daughter's wedding day. BTW We got all the names of your family throughout your fabulous blog posts which I have followed faithfully, but not the bride and groom!
What are they called???

MuseItUp Publishing said...

The bride and groom, Anita, are double A's:

Angela and Anthony also known as Angie and Anthony. GRIN

Arlene said...

Wonderful pictures, love all the posts, and I wish the bride and groom the very best. There's no excuse for the person who handled your phone call. Things happen? No duh. To forget the focal point of the delivery is quite lame, but it's even more rude to not step up and take responsibilty. Lovely how far being honest, saying I'm gonna strangle my driver and so sorry would have gone.
Glad the crowns arrived in the nick of time, and so much fun was had.

Heather Haven said...

Wow! Can you write a story or what! Glad it had a happy ending but sometimes these people can be amazingly dense. If it doesn't apply to them, so what? I'm glad you got it sorted out and that the bride and groom are off on a honeymoon.

Marva Dasef said...

Now we know that if what you're saying to us sounds like Greek, then it really is.

Being of northern European heritage, a marriage is good to go if there's a board to jump over, or something like that.

Glad it all worked out in the end.

J Q Rose said...

Great story..Something always goes wrong at a wedding as I mentioned before the big day. That will be the story told about the wedding! LOL Interesting to learn about the Greek ceremony and crowns. Coming from a former florist, your contact person needs a review on customer service! yikes....Blessings on the happy couple.

Marsha A. Moore said...

That made a great story. One to remember, retell, and treasure the happiness at the end.

Marsha

S.Durham said...

So glad the crowns arrived! Otherwise, looks like everyone and everything was beautiful! Congratulations again to your daughter and her new husband! Now you can rest...Just kidding!

Sara

Susanne Drazic said...

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that stress. I'm so glad everything worked out in the end.