Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Miracles: A Parting Statement by Kayla from LURKERS

Do you believe in Christmas miracles? A week ago, I would have said no. But then again, I didn't believe that the Apocalypse really would come on December 21st, 2012.

But now, seeing that all of the adults in Toronto -- no, wait. All of the adults in the world! -- have gone missing, I really want to start believing in Christmas miracles.

Because how long are we supposed to still survive without our parents? Yeah, I'm sixteen (almost), but I don't have a job. Even if I was making money, the stores aren't open to buy food. Some people are taking it anyway, but that's wrong, right?

I bet right about now, you're wondering who "we" is. Not only am I in charge of surviving through gang fights, our house burning down, and discovering how to make everything right again, but I'm also saddled with my eight-year-old brother. My eight-year-old diabetic brother. After the disaster with our house, I don't know how I'm going to be able to care for him. I don't even know anything about his diabetes! Mom always handled that sort of thing, and I didn't have to.

So yeah, right about now, I need a Christmas miracle. I guess Jackson is something of a miracle in himself. I mean, we're so lucky we met him. Not only does he know a whole lot more about Josh's illness than I do, but he's our best bet of finding out what happened. He's this scientific genius, after all. If only his creepy cousin Morris wasn't hanging around all the time...

More than anything, I want a real Christmas miracle to come knocking on our door. What will we do if our parents aren't back by December 25th?

Do you believe in Christmas miracles?


-Kayla, from Lurkers


Lindsay Below writes young adult and middle grade fiction. Her young adult science-fiction novel, Lurkers is due for release from MuseItUp on July 1st, 2011, followed shortly by her middle grade novel, Same Old Lie. Visit her online at www.lbelow.net

2 comments:

Sue Perkins said...

Kayla sounds like a smart young lady. This piece by her has made me want more. Must mark it on my calendar for July.

L. K. Below said...

Thank you for saying so. I'm rather partial to her myself ;)

Happy holidays!