Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December Duel with Nancy and Killarney.

Killarney has the lead....

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
By Killarney Sheffield
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Museitup house
Not a creature was stirring, not even an editor mouse;
The manuscripts were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that Editor in Chief Lea soon would be there;
The readers were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of plotlines danced in their heads;
My heroine in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long writer's snap,
When out on the reader's forum there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my manuscript to see what was the matter.
Away to the computer I flew like a flash,
Tore open my email and looked at the trash.
The flag on the breast of the new-arriving mail
Gave the lustre of contracts a plenty to hail,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a rejection letter, and eight tiny editors dear,
With a little old cover artist, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be a Delilah trick.
More rapid than eagles Lea's editors they came,
And she whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
"Now, Nancy! now, Penny! now, Fiona and Karen!On, Chris! on Carrie! on, Ann and where's the Baron?!
To the top of the bestsellers! to the top of them all!
Now sell away! sell away! sell away all!"
As paper that before the wild writer block hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the Muse Blog the editors they flew,
With the sleigh full of books, and St. Lea too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard in my head
The plot and characters for “A Holiday Dead.”
As I thought in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney Cyrus Keith came with a bound.
He was followed by Ginger, Anita and Chris,
And Lista, Roseanne, Krista and Lin;
A bundle of ebooks he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
To my eyes surprise there came more, how merry!
Sameena, Kat, Frank, Pat and Terri!
Barbara, Marva, Debra with a bow,Christopher, James, Heather and now;
Daniel, Lindsay and did I say Keith?
Enough writers already to cover a wreath!
Then came Janie and Nick, Chastity and Penny,
That shook, when they laughed like funny ol' hennys.
And Mary and Graig, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw them, in spite of myself;
Then Kristy, William, Rhobin and Erika,
Kevin, Durham, Joanne and Karina;
They spoke not a word, but went straight to their work,And filled all the stockings;
then Cy turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney they rose;
They sprang to Lea's sleigh, to her Muse team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard them exclaim, ere they drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

5 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

Very creative. You definitely have talent. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't have thought of that. Very enjoyable. I hope the Grinch doesn't get a hold of you.

Ellyn Schaffner said...

Very cute. I wonder if Clement Clarke Moore knew how often his beloved poem would be used as a relevant model for creativity - even in 2010...

Lin said...

I love it! Fantastic job, Kelli. You have brought smiles and delight and strong Holiday Cheer...oh, and St. Lea, your Muse Pole is a wonderland for all.

S.Durham said...

Bravo Killarney!

Sara

Killarney said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Sometimes my muse kind of runs away with me! LOL!
Merry Christmas Everyone!