Monday, January 24, 2011

The Heart's Lone Desire: Trenton's Quest

I hear its cry. Its echoing beat, perpetually teasing my mind, teasing me to the bone.

Where does my story start? I can barely remember.

Trenton. That's my name, I think. Or at least it used to be. I was a detective, hired by the wealthy in low places, their link between their public lives and the privacy of their darkness. I acquired the best of the worst, catered to their sins, recovered that which was meant to be lost. Until I found the heart. Miss Worthing. Haha, she could do with a heart. I'm her prisoner, you see, and have been ever since I failed her. I was ordered to bring back a heart of ivory; a lost legend that promises eternal life. I did find it; I did! But someone else got to it first.
She wants to kill me. I know she does. But I still have my secrets. The secrets she needs to pursue the heart. Rumour has it that a new guy's been hired, a professional thief. Not like the others; he's sharp, like I used to be. He'll come for me. He'll find me. And what will I do, then? I'll be forced to spill my secrets, and that'll be the end of me!

M-maybe, I can get to the heart, first. Yes, that's it. And this time I'll succeed. This time it'll accept me. I'll have its power all to myself, all to myself!

3 comments:

S.Durham said...

Very mysterious and intriguing POV Nicolai! Look forward to reading your story:)

Sara

Rosalie Skinner said...

Sounds intriguing. I feel for Trenton. Although if he finds the heart I don't know that I would trust him. Well done Nicolai!

Nicolai Due-Gundersen said...

Thank you! It'll be out in May, but I hope to add more blog posts before then.