Monday, January 17, 2011

Meet Roseanne Dowell

Hi, I’m Roseanne Dowell, wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother and author. I’ve been asked why I love writing. Actually the answer to that is very simple. It’s not so much that I love writing as writing loves me. Does that make sense? I mean seriously – I can’t NOT write. It’s like it’s in my blood or something.


I’ve been writing ever since I could remember. Even as a young girl, I used to make up stories and write them down. And I love to read. I remember reading the Nancy Drew murder mysteries and then I moved on to Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney.

I can’t help it. I love mysteries and romance. So of course that’s what I write. I write sweet romance, mystery romance, and paranormal romance. My paranormal romance stories aren’t your typical werewolf or ghost stories. One involves ghosts, but no my hero or heroine doesn’t become involved romantically with them. Rather they play a role in the story. And another actually involves two people with a mind connection. In fact that’s the name of it.

I’ve learned a lot since I first began writing. I started writing seriously when my children were little, back before the internet and computers. In fact, I wrote on an old fashioned typewriter. I took a writing course for children. While I enjoyed the course, I didn’t have it in me to write for children. That takes a special kind of person. Some years passed and I took another writing course. This time for nonfiction and still before the internet and computers, but at least I had an electric typewriter. Well, I didn’t realize it was for nonfiction. I think I submitted one article I wrote, which wasn’t accepted. Not that it surprised me. I didn’t want to write nonfiction. I wanted to write novels.

So as it turned out, my writing career sat on hold for a good many years. Oh, I still wrote – just not stuff for anyone to see, mostly poems and a journal of sorts. I wrote a lot about my feelings. I started writing seriously again around 2002. I took another writing course, this time they required me to write one nonfiction article, but most of it was geared to stories.

Funny thing, after I wrote that first nonfiction article, I realized it wasn’t so difficult. Of course having the internet and a computer helped considerably. Doing research was so much easier, and of course I didn’t have a house full of kids to distract me. I also didn’t work outside the home and was able to write full time. It makes a big difference.

I remember that first sale. Hubby had to peel me off the ceiling. I was so excited I couldn’t see straight. I earned $50.00 for that piece. Since then I’ve sold over 40 articles and stories to places like Good Old Days, Nostalgia and Ohio Writer as well as several online publications. I was even an editor and senior editor for online magazines and wrote articles for online publications. My first book was released in 2006 called Satin Sheets. It sold over 35,000 copies.

Currently I have two books with another publisher and in March, my first story, Strange on the Shore will be released at Muse It Up Publishing. http://tinyurl.com/4kg9645
Besides teaching several writing courses for Long Story Short School of Writing http://www.lsswritingschool.com/, I also taught several classes at our local Community College’s Encore program.

So I’ve learned a lot over the years, but mostly I learned if you really want to be an author, stick with it. Study the market and submit, submit, submit.

To learn more about me, check out my website http://www.roseannedowell.com/ or my blog at http://roseannedowellauthor.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

L. K. Below said...

Good advice, Ro. I know the difficulty you had with nonfiction. I felt the same way, yet every writing course I took had some element of nonfiction in it. And yet now, I write small articles all the time for guest posts. A lot of them have to do with my books, but I often dissect certain parts about a subgenre or writing. Who knew it would be such an important skill to have?

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks Lindsay, Almost all of my 40 articles are about writing. It's the one thing I enjoy the most, so it makes sense to write about it. And you're right, just about all the blog posts are non fiction. I think what scared me the most was not realizing I knew about something and didn't really know how to go about writing it. Once I learned that, it just blossomed. But I still love writing fiction.

Pat McDermott said...

Excellent advice, Roseanne. Sounds like you really know your onions.

Marva Dasef said...

Rosanne, you're such a wizard at using the net to help out other writers as well as to advert your own work. I will be sitting at your feet to take in your wisdom.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks, Marva, but please, not at my feet. I like to look my friends in the face. I'm not any smarter than anyone else. In fact I'm pretty much computer challenged. But I do try.

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Roseanne, thanks for sharing. You and I could have been friends, as girls, sitting in our own little corners, crafting our little stories :-)

Lin said...

AHHH My Vidalia Sweetheart...you really DO know your onions.

When I was young the Nancy Drew Books were releasing every month in the yellow hardcover version, for $1.25.

I saved my allowance and then while my mother sat at her hairdresser's I'd walk through Newton, PA to the small, (if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't find it), off the Main Street book store, plunked down my $1.25, held the bag with my new treasure close to my chest, all the way to the haridressers. I'd crawl up onto her sofa...(Mom's hairdresser's shop was in her house)...and lose myself in Nancy, George and Bess while my Mom got her hair bent. (We're talking Brillo pad tight)...I LOVED that day each month...(coudn't stand the scent of the perm or coloring stuff that clung to my mother...but nothing, not even that, could diminish my excitement for Nancy.)

I had every one of the Yellow covers, but at sixteen I made the mistake of loaning them to a friend...Never got them back...she denied I ever gave them to her. Needless to say the friendship ended.

Oh and you forgot to tell everyone how generous you are at hosting authors on your blog. You hosted me back before I even HAD a book out for anyone to buy. You will never know how much I appreciated that...and still do.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks, Lin. I loved Nancy Drew, but I got most of mine at the library.

lionmother said...

Roseanne,
I had a lot of the yellow covered Nancy Drews for a present and added on as many as I could. I lost track of mine too.

What is it about writers that we are all so similar? Writing grabs you and never lets you go. It becomes part of your life or even your life.

It's so good to learn more about everyone here.