Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm in Such a Mess!!!!

Hi, my name is Carolyn Samuels and I should have followed my first instincts and stayed home the first day of school, because of what happened. You have to know before this day me and my friends were basically invisible to the popular kids except for Jennifer. My body is too large for fashion and my hair hangs like stringy spaghetti. So I never thought I could be popular.

It was the first day of freshman year in Mill Valley High and who should be sitting next to me but Jennifer Taylor! Oh I wanted to run out of the room, but my teacher had already paired us for a Math project. I'm sure she didn't want to be with me either. I mean she actually tried to change partners. Thank goodness at lunch I sat with Becky, one of my two best friends from forever. My other one is Janie, but she didn’t have our same gym period. I thought I'd get through gym. Except being so near Jennifer, who had bothered me for two years in middle school saying "breathe Carolyn breathe to me whenever she saw me, made me have a breathing attack. So I fainted right there on the hard gym floor. That's the reason I got in this mess in the first place.


I didn't want anyone to know what happened in gym so I told Jennifer I would do her homework for her that night. I thought I would be done after that. But Jennifer was relentless about getting me new clothes and she made me her new project while we were doing the project together. I wouldn't even have found out her secret if not for the constant trips to the bathroom and her lies to me.


Now I'm carrying all of her lies in my head like sandbags. I'm lying to my parents and my best friends so I can keep being Jennifer's friend and have her help me learn to tumble. I really want to be a cheerleader and Jennifer, who is hoping to be in the Olympics with her gymnastics, said she would help. I don't know what to do I'm so screwed. My best friends barely talk to me and I think if I learn anything more about Jennifer I'll scream!!! Oh yeah, I also have a crush that no one but my best friends know about, on her boyfriend, Brad Morrow, the hunky junior quarterback. I'm in such a mess I don't know how I'll get out of it.


Oh, no, I'm having a breathing attack --- Breathe, Carolyn, breathe. I hope I don't faint again. Did I mention I'm sitting next to Brad right now at Jennifer's table for lunch? Becky and Janie have this strange look on their faces. All I want to do is go back to being invisible again.


My story will be available in If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor by Barbara Ehrentreu this September. Then you can see what I did to get out of this mess!! Please visit my author’s page to read more about my story.

9 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

You had me hooked from the first sentence. I can't wait to read this one.

lionmother said...

Thank you, Roseanne!!

S.Durham said...

Barbara, Carolyn drew me in and now I'm dying to know what all of Jennifer Taylor's secrets are:)!

Sara

Rosalie Skinner said...

Sounds like a great story. Secrets are the perfect way to cause trouble and Carolyn sounds like she has plenty of that.

lionmother said...

Thank you Sara and Rosalie! I'm so glad you like her. Imagine how Carolyn feels with all these secrets. As she says they are like sandbags in her mind.:)

J Q Rose said...

Oh my goodness but this draws me back to those uncomfortable teen years..You certainly do have yourself in a pickle, Carolyn, trying to be a true friend and be true to yourself. Anxious to see how you handle all this angst.

lionmother said...

Thank you for stopping by, J.Q. I'll let Carolyn know you are anxious. She spends a lot of her time being anxious, but she is hoping that her life will change.:) You will have to wait until September to find out. Sorry!

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

So good to hear from .Carolyn Samuels, she is a wonderful girl and I just am delighted that she will be arriving in September, just as school begins for so many kids that can relate to her! This has to be a terrific marketing tie- in!
Let this " term" end quickly and the summer arrive so Carolyn can get ready for school and the world in September! All the best to you both!

lionmother said...

Dr. Pearl, thank you for stopping by and saying such nice things about Carolyn. I will let her know how much you are thinking about her. I know she is very excited to be starting her first year of high school next year in September. Believe me with Jennifer constantly bothering her I am sure she can't wait for next year!!!