Monday, January 17, 2011


Hi. I’m Rochelle Weber, author of Rock Crazy, due out in October 2011 from the Muse. Abandoned, pregnant, and bi-polar Katie’s going crazy on that God-forsaken rock, the Moon!

I grew up on the Northwest Side of Chicago, about thirty blocks west of Wrigley Field. Yes, I’m a die-hard Cubs fan. I wrote my first very short story around the age of seven when I was home with chicken pox and ran out of reading material. In high school, I wrote Cherry Ames, the Nancy Drew of nursing into “The Rat Patrol.” Needless to say, I eventually found myself a Navy medic married a submarine sailor who was a nuclear tech and he introduced me to Robert A. Heinlein and science fiction. I was already a hopeless romantic.

After I got out of the Navy and had my two daughters, I decided to go back to work but in a doctor’s office. No one cared about my nursing skills since I had never taken civilian board exams—they wanted typing and bookkeeping. So I went to secretarial school and ended up working at the Charleston, South Carolina National Public Radio affiliate. I started the month before the first Spoleto Festival. I was writing a letter home describing the festival on my lunch break and I asked one of our producers if I’d spelled something right. She read the letter over my shoulder and said, “Rochelle! You can write!” She became my mentor.

When I got divorced and came home to Chicago, I enrolled at Columbia College and majored in Fiction Writing. My essay, “Bulimia,” was published in our award-winning student Anthology, Hair Trigger. The novel I’d written in classes, Comes the Dawn, flew off in several different directions—one for each professor I’d had. Mainly, it worked through some of the angst over my divorce and my fruitless search for self-esteem through external sources. Some of it has moved to the Moon and become Rock Crazy, which is Book Two of the Moon Rock Series.

Rock Bound is Book One of the series. Jake saved Annie’s life. Now slaves on that God-forsaken rock, the Moon, how will they survive?

I started writing a paragraph or so of back-story on some of the characters in Rock Crazy. The next thing I knew, they took over and I had a separate novel. Rock Bound was previously published and is now available in PDF format through my website, www.rochelleweber.com. I’m planning to re-release it soon in multiple e-book formats with cover art by our esteemed Cover Goddess, Delilah Stephans. The current cover art was done by Dawn Seewer.

I currently live in Volo, Illinois, a far-flung Northwest suburb of Chicago with my oldest daughter and granddaughter. My younger daughter lives about two hundred miles downstate in Paris, Illinois with her boyfriend, son, two daughters, and two step-daughters. We also have a menagerie of five cats and a bunny rabbit. To learn more about us, check out my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home .

4 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Hello Rochelle, nice to meet a fellow Muser. Your life sounds intriguing. Congratulations on Rock Crazy and on Rock Bound. I wish you many, many more successes.

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Hi Rochelle, nice to learn about you and your upcoming release.

Lin said...

Rochelle, you already know what I think about you. I am SOOOO glad your writers voice is here for us to bask in your creativity.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Running out of reading material does help prompt a writer into writing. It took me many more years to run out of books though. I had to catch up on learning how to write, in a hurry. Don't think I will stop learning any time soon. Each day brings some new nuance to storytelling and structuring each sentence.
Looking forward to reading Rock Crazy.