Monday, January 17, 2011

Terri Main - A Writing Memory

A few weeks after my mother passed away, I was going through some of her things. He had a huge cedar chest where she kept her most precious memories. I found all the magazines that had my articles in them. I found my college newspapers with my column. As I dug deeper, I found my very first published piece of writing.

It was a three-paragraph article I had written when I was in third grade about the sun. It was published in our school newsletter as the best story that month. I stood holding that yellow mimeographed piece of paper in my hands that mother had carefully preserved for nearly 50 years. I can remember the excitement in the household. You would have thought I'd won a Pulitzer or been published in the New Yorker. People called saying how much they liked the article.

I think that was when I wanted to be a writer. Seeing my words in print next to my name and knowing that people I didn't even know were reading them was an exhilarating feeling. It would be another 12 years before I would be paid for something I wrote, and another 50 before I had a novel accepted for publication, but along the way I've had fun writing everything from magazine articles, to newspaper stories to short stories, plays, radio drama and even a video documentary or two.

Still, I am not sure any of those accomplishments will compare to that moment when I found that carefully preserved piece of paper among my mother's things.
To be Released February 2011

5 comments:

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Terri, thanks for telling about your journey to become a writer. I enjoyed reading Dark Side of the Moon,

Anne Whitfield - author said...

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

Roseanne Dowell said...

What a wonderful treasure chest. When my mom passed away we found homemade cards that we made her and report cards. We didn't know she had kept all those things. I wish she was alive to read at least one of my books. She loved to read and I believe that's something I inherited from her.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Terri, Thanks for sharing your experience. Poignant but precious. I look forward to reading Dark Side of the Moon.

Susan Hornbach said...

Terri, when parents believe in their children, then children believe in themselves, and that's probably a huge part of why you are the writer you are today. God Bless your Mother, and thanks for sharing your touching story.