Monday, January 17, 2011

Writing Fiction to Write Fiction.

I’m Christopher Hoare, and I write to participate in the world.

The role of story in history has been to spread the beliefs and values of society to all the members of that society. That’s why people sat around Homer as he told the stories of Troy and of Odysseus, that’s why they listened to the tale of Beowulf, to the epic of Gilgamesh, and to the Mahabharata. Today we tell stories in print, in film, on the stage, in e-books and even in song. They all tell us about our world and the society we live in – even when the subject might be science fiction or erotic romance. It’s about us, and where we fit, or should fit, in the world.

I write to be a part of that ... a small part, but as sure about the place of my writing as Homer was about his spoken stories.

I will be announcing a free story on my website very soon. (It’s actually at www.christopherhoare.ca now, but I’ve asked for a few changes to the website and have sent my webmaster new versions of the story, just slightly tweaked. It’s there, free to all visitors, just for leaving an e-mail address so I can tell you when more of my writing is released.)

“Gisel Matah and the Slave Ship” takes its background from a paper sent to me by a historian friend. She put together the story of the founding of Sierra Leone as a colony in which to settle released slaves. Over a hundred years or so, the project ran into problems, opposition, and the need for compromises. Gisel, my young officer, protagonist of my Iskander series novels, runs into most of those problems during the few days she’s in charge of the captured ship, and trying to find a safe place to release the slaves aboard. I tell the story as entertainment, but Gisel in her conflicts with her impatient commanders, tells the true story of the African colony in miniature.

Remember my website; go to it when you can, it will be in better order and contain much more in a week or so, but it has pages about “Rast” my fantasy to be released by MuseItUp in March, as well as the rest of the Iskander series novels. And you can download the free novella, “Gisel Matah and the Slave Ship” right now. (The pdf version is the cleanest read.)

5 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Congratulations and welcome fellow Muser. Looking forward to reading the free read you're offering on your website. Thank you for sharing.

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

Thanks for sharing your writing journey, Christopher.

Marva Dasef said...

You have a webmaster? Isn't that kind of antithetical to the whole slave historical deal?

I hope you will learn that I'm rarely serious on the web. I do all my crying at home.

Lin said...

I love seeing writers using fiction to educate in ways that our history books do now, but without making it seem like you are dumming in into them. Kat had a wonderful history teacher that would dress in costume. That got their attention, but when he voiced the old saw, "If you don't learn history you are forced to go through it again." most of the students took it too mena they'd have to repeat it next year. The few who got it, like Kat, signed up to take their own electives in History. Kat took an elective about the Holocaust. It is not covered in the history books, but she longee to try understanding this horrible event and hopefully be a part of seeing that it is never repeated.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Chris, great story, Gisel Matah and the Slave ship. Reads like you are out to sea. Could almost smell the salt... and worse. Thanks for sharing.
Will be back to check website again soon.