Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Managing Writing and Studying!

I don't know about the rest of you, but when it comes to getting the balance right, I always feel like I have to spend more time on studying than writing. Fortunately, I'm in my last year of uni, so once I get a job, my weekends will be free for the glorious world of wordplay :) I do find that writing a few unhurried pages a day is better than trying to rush through an entire new chapter, and I certainly feel that in order to enjoy writing more than studying (which I do!), I have to treat it as a hobby. I do hope to become an established author, but if you put too much pressure on yourself, then what's the point? It's best to enjoy your characters, the world they interact in and the whole process of writing. Who knows, maybe the fluidness of creative compared to the systemic demands of academics can lead to a flood of more original ideas that will be explored in more and more depth as your work continues, and I think that that is the key to a succesful writing career. Originality, enjoyment, and exploring your hobby (and in a sense yourself) in depth.

1 comment:

Viviane Brentanos said...

I agree with you. Take all the time you need to enjoy your characters. There is no right or wrong way to write. Everyone works at their own pace.