Thursday, March 24, 2011

Excerpt from Love Delivery



Love Delivery is my first MuseItUp eBook.  It's scheduled for publication in August, 2011.  I've chosen this scene because it's the first time Ann and Tom have an interrupted time together.  They are able to get to know each other a little better and Ann allows herself to let go and enjoy the moment. (Please note, this is an unedited excerpt and is subject to change in the final publication.)

“I’ve been hoping you’d get here on time. The movie is just about to start. Come on,” Tom said, grabbing her hand and pulling her into the theater.
Although dark inside, they found two good seats. Two hours later when they left the theater, the streetlights were on, and rain came down in sheets.
“Shall we go somewhere for dinner?” Tom asked. He held Ann close by his side as they stood under an overhang.
“After last night, I’ve got a better idea. Let’s go to my place. I can whip up something.”
“Okay. My truck’s just across the street.”
They dashed through the rain to the truck. Tom helped Ann in and then slid behind the wheel. He pulled into traffic, and Ann directed him to her place.
While he drove, Ann watched him. He looked at her and smiled. Reaching over, he lightly squeezed her knee. His touch sent a shiver through her body and made her heart pound faster.
Tom parked the truck, and they ran through raindrops to her building. She punched the entry code, and they went up to her apartment.
When Ann opened the door, Mittens greeted them. Tom bent down and scooped up the cat. He scratched her ears and rubbed under her chin. Mittens purred.
Ann laughed. “How did you know her special spots?”
“Did you forget I’ve got five of my own?” Tom asked.
Ann headed to the kitchen. She heard Tom following behind. Looking in the fridge, she found shrimp, rice, and vegetables.
Tom peered over her shoulder, “I thought you said you didn’t eat meat?”
“I eat fish sometimes. How about stir-fry?”
“I’ll help. Tell me what to do,” Tom said. Putting Mittens down, he rolled up his sleeves and washed his hands.
An hour later, after many laughs in the kitchen, they sat down to a tasty meal.
“We haven’t talked about last night yet,” Tom said.
“I told you this morning what Maria said.”  Ann looked at Tom. She felt like she could look at him all night.
“My parents raised me to protect women and to never hurt them. My life before Maria had been pretty dull. On our first date, she came on to me. I let her. Later, when she told me she was going to have a baby, I took her to a judge, and we got married. It didn’t take me long to find out she had lied.”
“So you knew all along you weren’t Catherine’s father?”
“It didn’t matter. I could have done it, and I love Kitten.”
“Oh, Tom, you must have felt so trapped,” Ann cried and clasped his hand.
Tom squeezed her hand and stroked her face with his fingertips. “Not at first. Maria’s quite a gal. I learned a lot from her. She’s more than I can handle though, and when the fights started, I knew I had to leave. She’s a spitfire.”
“I saw.”  Ann reached across and touched his cheek where Maria had left her mark.
Tom stood and pulled Ann up into his arms. Her heart pounded, and her legs felt like wet noodles as the kiss went on. Moaning, her lips parted. She felt Tom’s heart beating against her body, and his breath came in short gasps. Things were moving too fast. She pushed him away.
“What’s the matter, Ann?” Tom asked, pulling her close again.
“I’m not ready for this yet,” Ann whispered, moving away. Her knees gave out, and she sank into her chair.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to push you into anything. It’s as though I’ve known you my whole life, and you’re already a part of me.”
She took a deep breath. “You’re special, Tom. I just need to go slower.”
Tom knelt in front of Ann and looked into her eyes. “Trust me, please. I won’t hurt you.”
Ann smiled and thought, just like you didn’t hurt Maria, but she didn’t say anything. Then she stood and went to the kitchen. “Would you like coffee before you go?”
Tom followed and put his arms around her waist. He nuzzled her hair and nibbled on her ear. She felt her will getting weaker. He turned her around and kissed her again.
She put her arms up and wove her fingers through his hair. He tasted so good; she wanted more. Her lips parted at the same time his did. Their kiss went deeper, and her heart raced.
Tom broke away first and held her. She could feel his heart pounding as she fought to catch her breath. “I’d better go, now,” he said into her hair.
She looked up at him. Her whole body seemed to be melting. At last she said, “Yes, you’re right.”
Tom kissed her on the forehead. “I’ll call you.”
Ann felt numb. She nodded, and then he left. Falling into her big green chair, Ann closed her eyes and saw only Tom.

I hope you enjoyed this scene and will want to read more.  You can read more about me and my upcoming Muse books at the Muse bookstore.

No comments: