Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Excuses and the Five Senses


Don’t make excuses. Don't make funny faces. Write. So what if the laundry is piling higher than your roof. It isn't going anywhere.

Yes, some days your Muse will decide to hide and sleep. That’s fine, we all deserve a break. But allow your Muse to go on a long holiday and you’re done for. Force her back by reading, enticing her to join you and maybe come up with new ways to have ended or written that book.

Reading and writing is an escape from the usual daily chores in one’s life.

Perhaps your Muse went away because she was stuck using the same old words and fed up. Help her. Buy a Thesaurus.

The Muse might have been sick and tired of the boring passages in the novel because she couldn’t smell, taste, touch, see, or hear anything in your fictional world. If you lost your Muse imagine how quickly your reader will leave you.

YOUR TURN. Let’s try an exercise in using some of the five senses. Look at my exercise and then post your one paragraph description.

You're held captive in a dungeon, hands tied tightly, burning into your flesh. In one paragraph describe your situation, using as many of the five senses as possible. Be creative.

5 comments:

Charlie said...

Thanks for the fun exercise. here's my paragraph...

Charlie
C.K. Volnek

My head throbbed and I struggled to bury my nose into my shoulder as the stench of the long-dead prisoners accosted my senses; assaulting me just as surely as the sweaty mammoth of a guard that had forced me, kicking and screaming into this rat-hole of a dungeon. My body tipped with the movement and I thudded to the filthy dirt floor, unable to balance without the use of my arms, bound as tight behind me as the hind quarter of hog my father had sold to the McGuire family yesterday. The ghosts of the wrongly accused, left to rot in this God-forsaken prison, swirled about my cell, their ragged clothes as dark and dirty as the mottled shadows and their woeful cries weeping into the depressing darkness. I choked on the realization. Was I to join them?

Joylene Butler said...

This couldn't have come at a better time. My house is a disaster, the laundry is beginning to take over the spare room, and my car needs a bath badly. But -- I'm on a deadline for my publisher, so although the mess is trying me crazy, priorities come what may.

Great post.

J Q Rose said...

Alright, I admit when I am writing, I have the thesaurus open online at thesaurus.com all the time. It is so much easier and faster than struggling to come up with that perfect word.

@Charlie...fantastic paragraph...really put me into that nasty dungeon with you.

jolenejolenejolene said...

Instead of a paragraph....2 sentences.

Memories of the farm flooded my mind while I lay curled up listening, on the damp, dirt floor. One can transform the smell of acrid urine so potent it sears the nostrils; into a mug of honey mead.

~N

Mimi Barbour said...

I fired my muse a long time ago...the lazy brat kept getting me into trouble. So now it's just me, strong work habits and the characters who keep after me. Must admit, I get a lot more done!!!