Monday, April 11, 2011

QUESTIONS ASKED...FINALLY THE ANSWERS

Hi everyone.



I am finally getting back to you all with answers to the questions some of you have asked during the past weeks. Sorry it has taken me this long to respond...I'm discovering life sometimes interferes with the best plans.


Let me get started...


For those of you who do not know me I am Lin but I write as L.J. Holmes for both the Muse It Up and Muse It Hot sides of the Muse Publishing, Inc.


The most frequent question I get asked is how I come up with the ideas for what I write? I only have one answer...Life!


I have spent most of my life observing what goes on around me. Since I grew up in a town smaller than the one depicted in Grace Metallius' PEYTON PLACE, I didn't have to do much more than walk out my door to start observing.


I'm not sure how my neighbors would feel about me watching their activities, then using my quirky mind to fill in the unspoken gaps. I have two short stories coming out with Muse during the next few months that are based on real events.


Questions...my own questions lead me to weaving answers that I am certain would not always please those whose lives originated the final tales...but isn't most fiction based on some kernel of truth?

Not everything I observed would make for gripping tales. I spent a lot of time watching the gentle dance and sway of the lacy bells strung upon the slender stems of Lilly of the Valley. To me they were mesmerizing, but I haven't figured out how to translate that into a 3000 plus word story that would grip you, the reader, so I keep it locked away inside me knowing someday I will find a way of sharing my awe of such natural exquisiteness.


Where do I find the time to write? This is another question I am asked with increasing regularity as more and more of my stories make their way into the e-pub realm.


I'm not sure "finding" the time is the real issue. When your inner voice demands that you grab pen, pencil, lipstick, or whatever is close by that can be used to smudge words upon a receiving implement...and paper is not always available...Just ask my daughter how many times I have written on her shorts clad leg when nothing else was at the ready. (She's ticklish, so reading it later often proved as challenging as reading petroglyphs.)


When your inner story weaver decides the time is ripe to write, you are fighting a losing battle if you just don't shrug your shoulders and give in. (Some people have suggested I carry a tape recorder with me...but I have this little girl voice, so hearing it later describing hot passion gets me cracking up so much I can't transcribe what my inner voice has channeled through me.)

What genré do I write?

I don't know if I'd recognize a genré if it barreled into me at 100MPH while flashing flags, hula dancers, and the sexiest male strippers on the planet.


The story I have releasing next month is one of those stories that is based, somewhat on my growing up years. It's called TWILIGHT COMES and it is a dark story with no happily ever after. My other based on true life events, BEYOND YESTERDAY is coming out in September. That one DOES have a happy ending.


That last one actually was triggered by the video Reba MacEntire did for her FANCY song reminding me of events from my childhood I had not even realized I had observed and locked away inside me during my early teens.


My first book, SANTA IS A LADY, came into being when the news reported a career Santa had been arrested. I had worked in retail for a year while in college and know how important those very few weeks/days between Black Friday and Christmas Eve are. Santa plays a vital role in retails bottom line.


What makes me have disabled heroes and heroines in so many of my stories?


I once knew a guy who was center-fold gorgeous, but beneath the veneer he was not perfectly abled. If someone who looks like he walked off the cover of GQ hasn't figured it out, how imperfect are those that we perceive as imperfect?

There's another reason. I am disabled, and a part of me is an optimist. I believe one day in spite of my many physical challenges there will be a happy ending in my life too.

What if there isn't?

That question is the natural follow-up to my last response. And here's my response.

I've learned contentment for the most part. I am lucky to have given birth to my best friend, my daughter. Since we are both disabled, we have fashioned a life that works as well as I think any life can. She is a writer too, a very talented one with Muse, Kat Holmes, and we bounce ideas off of each other, and 99% of the time don't want to kill each other. :-)

If I never find that one man to light my world and infuse my spirit, I have been blessed beyond measure with this amazing child I was fortunate enough to bring to life and share all the years since. We have challenges that many shake their heads over and wonder how we manage. She's severely epileptic, and I...well I have many less than abling conditions...but she is the joy that makes me smile, the reason I put one foot before the next and the force that allows my story-teller to soar.

I hope I have answered all the questions you have been sending me. I've tried remembering them. If you have more, please leave a comment and I will respond.

And thank you for coming to our Muse sites and letting us share a bit of your life too.

Most Appreciatively,
Lin
A.K.A.
L.J. Holmes

8 comments:

Karen Cote said...

Oh no...not so fast, Angel-Girl. I want to know how a single stroke of that cyber-pen can mesmerize and bring such a flood of warmth to the heart. It's a mystery to unravel. So fess up. Are you hiding some secret potion that captives and holds someone hostage? Has Kat created some form of magic on your tongue or our ears? Hmmm. As one infected, I'd at least like to know what happened. hehehe

Love you and thanks for sharing this today.

Lin said...

What you describe, Karen, is what I felt growing up at the foot of my Grandmother. Nonnie was an amazing lady...quiet, gentle, and the only person who had every resident in our town and a five mile radius cramming into the funeral parlor when she passed.

I don't know what she possessed, but everyone felt better for knowing her. If I have any of that, then I have indeed been touched by an angel.

I would like to believe it. Nonnie was the light that gave this child a beacon to be warmed by and a role model for me to hope I am half the woman she was. I'm still working on that one, though.

Everyone who was even lightly touched by Nonnie fell in love with her. Not a day passes when I don't miss the warming radiance of her place in my life, and I hope she looks down and is proud of the me I am trying to be.

Kat said...

I love you Mom.:-)

Joylene Butler said...

Fascinating to hear your answers, Lin. I love the image of hula dancers coming at you at 100 mph. Ouch. It's wonderful getting to know you better. Best of luck with your work.

Charmaine Clancy said...

What a lovely interview, very open and sharing.
Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Kay Dee Royal said...

Nice to hear your answers to the ever inquiring minds of us who follow you (smile). I'm always bowled over with admiration the more I learn about you and Kat. You are both strong, courageous women with awesome creativity that...thank goodness you share! Hugs.

Charlie said...

What a great interview Lin. wonderful candid remarks. I love the part about handicaps. We're all handicapped in one way or another, whether physically or mentally. Thanks for sharing.
C.K. Volnek

J Q Rose said...

Lin, every day I learn more about you and appreciate you even more. Love the part about working well with your daughter and not wanting to kill each other 99% of the time. LOL...I have 2 daughters who mean the world to me too. We are truly blessed, aren't we? Keep writing and lighting up our lives. Thank you.