Wednesday, May 25, 2011

History Repeats Itself


My mom
 Today is my birthday! And yes, I am celebrating with a special contest. Contest information is at the end of the post.

May 25 is a beautiful time of year to have a birthday. When I was born my mother was thirty years old. I have two older brothers, so she and Dad were delighted to welcome a pink bundle of joy to the family. Needless to say I was swathed in pink when I was a little kid.

History repeats itself is an old saying, but so true. I gave birth to a little girl when I was thirty years old too. I remember my mother coming to the hospital.

This energetic redhead with striking blue eyes, always a strong personality, turned into a marshmallow the first time she held my baby girl. Holding the sweet bundle in her arms, Mom looked up at me with a twinkle in her eye and said, " Just think. When she's thirty, you'll be sixty, and I'll be ninety!" We laughed pretty hard at the thought of either of us being those ages so far off in the future. I was just worried about making that baby nurse let alone think beyond even going home and handling a baby and a three year old!

Yet again, history repeated itself because that baby girl grew up and at thirty years old, she gave birth to a baby girl. She and her husband were delighted to have a pink bundle of joy to join the family including two older brothers. She too is swathed in pink, pink, pink. It was very satisfying for me to say to my daughter, "Just think. When she's thirty, you'll be sixty, I'll be ninety, and Grandma will be one hundred twenty!"


Me and all my beautiful girls on a fall trip to the Michigan apple orchards

It certainly makes one wonder what may happen thirty years from now, doesn't it?

Let's celebrate my birthday today. You're invited to visit my J Q Rose blog. Muse author, Roseanne Dowell, and I discovered we share the same birthday so we are having a Double the Fun contest where you have two chances to win two books! Contest rules are on the J Q Rose blog and Roseanne Dowell blog.

Each winner will receive a copy of Roseanne's just released, mystery/romance Double the Trouble, and my mystery/light horror novella, Sunshine Boulevard. Winners will be announced on May 30!

You will meet Kate Wesley, the main character in Double the Trouble, on my blog today. So come on over. I don't mind if you bring birthday cake too!! Chocolate, of course.

5 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

Wow, Janet. That's so cool. Thanks for sharing that with us. God bless all of you and Happy Birthday!

Shellie said...

Happy Birthday, Janet. What a neat "tradition" :D. Can't imagine planning for that one.

Rochelle Weber--Author, Editor said...

Do you feel sixty? I sure don't! Your girls are all beautiful. Happy birthday!

Hugs,
Rochelle

Addison James said...

Happy Birthday!!

Sara Beth said...

I'm your 'other' pink bundle that you had when you were 27 I still enjoyed your story! I've never heard this story before! Sara OXOXOXOX