Monday, June 13, 2011

All About Blogs - An Introduction

Hello everyone and welcome to the Big Blog Blowout or, as the front page of this blog reads, Harnessing the Full Potential of Blogs. Before we begin I believe I need to share a little about myself. My name is Brian Knight and my debut novel “Born of Blood” will be released in March of 2012. I created my first blog – The New Author – about 4 years ago (I believe) and recently I created the blog – The Blood Chronicles. Over the years I have had the opportunity to help people build blogs and websites. I have also redesigned a number of websites to enhance their visual appeal, ease of use and productivity.

In the ever growing world of the Internet it is becoming almost a necessity to have a blog and/or website. Companies, individuals, political bodies and branches of government have sites and blogs at their disposal. Why? What is so important about websites and blogs? How do you even set one up? These are questions that many have before they take that first step. Without answers to those questions many don't take that first step. I’m not saying that first step is easy because it can be downright overwhelming but fortunately there are many out there who can help. That is exactly why we are here. Today we will be looking at blogs and how to harness their full potential.

I will be using my blogs as examples throughout the day today so you may want to keep them open on your browser for reference (or keep their address handy). The New Author can be found at http://the-new-author.blogspot.com/ and The Blood Chronicles can be found at www.bloodchronicle.blogspot.com.

Alright, there you have it, next up is Part I of this day long blogging extravaganza!!

7 comments:

Nan D Arnold said...

Hi, Brian. Looking forward to your posts as am remaining strongly blog resistant. Keeping up website is about all I can manage along with writing and family, blah blah blah. I KNOW blogs are important but time is important, too.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Hi Brian, I find myself working on my blog more than my website. Keeping up both of them and promoting my book while still trying to write is darn near a full time job.

Joylene Butler said...

I'm with Roseanne. It seems easier to concentrate on my blog than my website. It's less like bragging maybe. Or at least it feels that way.

Brian said...

Nan - Time is important and we all must prioritize. Websites are great but blogs offer different advantages that can, in the long run, save time and allow you to be more efficient. However, if your website works for you than you can take some of my suggestions and apply it to your site.

Roseanne - Yes, if you are not careful websites and blogs can consume your day. Hopefully you will see some tips and tricks that will help you save some time.

Brian said...

Joylene - Blogs provide the feeling of a one on one experience and at times it can feel like writing in a journal. This is why so many people prefer blogs. Websites can, at times, give off the "Look at me" vibe while blogs seem a little more down to earth. It is important to work with the one that makes you comfortable because that is the one you will enjoy the most.

J Q Rose said...

Am I the only one who clicked on new author blogspot.com and got a Bible study site? I don't think that is correct.

Brian said...

JQ - Thank you for catching that. I fixed the link.