Monday, June 13, 2011

All About Blogs - Part II: Writing Articles and Leaving Comments

A blog, even with all the widgets and everything else, is nothing more than a blank piece of paper. It is there for you to write on. It is a method to reach out to others but in order to do that you have to post articles. At this moment in time some of you might be thinking – I just don’t know what to write about. Did you write down your passion? Look at it now; that is the key to your blog articles. The first one is easy; make an introduction. Build on and explore your passion through your articles. Readers and visitors will pick up on your love for the topic through your writing and will return.

It is important to keep your blog active which means you should try to post at least 2 articles a week. If you have the time to write more articles I highly recommend doing that. The more you write the more attention you draw to your blog. Many times however, we don’t have time to write every day. If you find that this is your situation don’t worry; there is a solution. Blogger and Wordpress allow you to write an article and schedule it for whenever you like it to post. I know one person who writes all his articles in one day and checks it during the week to respond to comments. This article you're reading right now was scheduled earlier this morning. Scheduling your articles can save you a lot of time.

Once in a while throw in some images and maybe a video from YouTube. I say once in a while because the more images and videos you add the slower your blog will respond and visitors don’t like waiting very long. Images and videos add a nice spice and refreshing pick me up to an article so don’t be afraid to use them; just in moderation. Images and videos also provide readers and visitors a longer look at your personality without you having to actually write something. You can express your emotions in a whole new way through the use of images and video. Trust me, this twist will be appreciated.

Perhaps the most critical thing I have discovered, in regards to articles on a blog, is the importance of responding to comments. Readers love the interaction with the blogger and it builds connections. Responding to comments lets them know that you appreciate their time for visiting, reading and leaving the comment. Yes, many of you do respond but you might be surprised to know how many don’t. It is through these connections that your fan base will grow. One more thing, respond to the negative comments too. It might be tough but it shows everyone else your character. Granted, if the comment is abusive or just to far over the line you can delete it (and should) then move on to the next.

Do you enjoy leaving comments? Do you enjoy receiving comments?

6 comments:

Karen Cote said...

Yep...great stuff and even better advice. You know I'm going to be bugging you with more questions, right. Uhm, not just today... Thank you, really. This is cool.

Brian said...

Karen - Feel free to ask me all the question you like. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Lisa Forget said...

I love to leave comments. I agree it's an excellent way to establish connections.

I'm getting into the groove of blogging and becoming more confident about what I share in my posts. Because my schedule is quite busy I try to post at least twice a week. Hopefully, I'll get that number up a little.

Thank you for responding Brian! It's much appreciated.
Lisa

Brian said...

Lisa - It is amazing how we will make time to blog once we find our 'zone'. It sounds like you are well on your way to finding that happy medium and from there the skies the limit.

J Q Rose said...

I love to comment, but I truly enjoy receiving comments on my blogs. I know how to schedule a blogger post, but where do I find that on wordpress.com? Thanks, Brian.

Brian said...

JQ - I believe the options for your posts are located in the dialog box that you write your post in. It is associated with the options.