Sunday, August 14, 2011

Meet Elizabeth Ashley

Hi, I’m Elizabeth Ashley, heroine of May I Have this Dance. During the summer of 1955 I fell in love. Deeply in love. I met Danny Sullivan while we visited Lakeview Resort, where we went every year ever since I could remember. That summer was special, I became of age. It was my coming out year. That’s high society talk for looking for a husband.
Well I found mine. Danny!  We were inseparable, much to my father’s dismay. My father was… well, let’s just say old fashioned.
Wait, old fashioned wasn’t even the word to describe my father. He should have lived in the Victorian Era. Honest, he was such a stick in the mud.  And strict. Good lord, you can’t imagine how strict he was. Nothing I did pleased him. And dating Danny Sullivan definitely did not please him. He tried to forbid it, but I pretty much ignored him. Something I’d never done before. I knew he wouldn’t do anything because he wouldn’t go against Danny’s aunt, Mrs. James. Actually, she really wasn’t Danny’s aunt, but that’s another story. She called him her nephew and that was enough for the people at Lakeview.
Mrs. James was the most prominent person in Lakeview. Heck, she pretty much owned most of it. So no one went against her. To suffer Mrs. James’s wrath just wasn’t worth the risk. No one did it, including my father. But that didn’t keep Father from disapproving of Danny.
 Oh no, Father didn’t approve of Danny in any way, shape or form. He never passed up a chance to lecture me on Danny’s lack of breeding. Not that it mattered to me. Danny was everything I was looking for in a man. He was sweet, caring, sensitive and attentive. What more could a woman want?
So I did pretty much what I wanted.  Danny and I soon became a couple. That meant none of the other guys even asked me to dance, which was fine with me. None of those guys held a candle to Danny. 
When he asked me to marry him, I couldn’t believe it. I mean me, Danny wanted to marry me! I was in seventh heaven. Until it came time to ask Father that is.
To find out what happened, you’ll have to read May I Have this Dance is available  from MuseItUp Publishing http://bit.ly/MayIHaveThisDance.
To learn more about me, visit my website: www.roseannedowell.com
http://roseannedowellauthor.blogspot.com



2 comments:

Joylene Butler said...

Elizabeth, what a small world. I know Danny Sullivan and I live near Lakeside Resort. Okay, different Dannys and resorts, but so close.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Oh my gosh, Joylene, Lakeview is based on Lakeside (not the people etc) It was what I pictured when I wrote the story. We used to vacation there for several years. Where do you live? Oh and I never knew a Danny Sullivan.