Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Classics

The month of October has always been the month of movies. Scary movies. Bumps in the night, under the bed groans, in the closet shadows, creaking stairs, and infamous “it was a dark and stormy night” movies.

I grew up with the original HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13TH, and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET movies. I couldn’t watch the commercials without having the willies. The last fifteen minutes of THE AMITYVILLE HORROR I spent with fingers in my ears and hands over my eyes. I went to bed that night staring straight up at my ceiling refusing to move…why I picked that day to move my bed to the centre of the room and not keep at least one wall to my back I’ll never know.

JAWS did me in, too. I scared myself out of the lake one day, yeah, a fresh water lake with sand dunes bringing the water only up to my knees.

These are not MY classics.

No, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr., Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and John Carradine, these men portrayed the classics. Whether they were Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolfman, Frankie, monster/monster hunter, or any Poe character, I’m watching.

I couldn’t tell you how many incarnations of Dracula, Mr. Lee played, but he had the King Vampire’s essence. Michael Jackson’s THRILLER song would be weaker with any other voice than Mr. Price’s. Yes, Mr. Cushing was my monster movie hero. Mr. Carradine had me with a look.

I would be remiss not to mention THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and its sequels.

I must admit to a more modern guilty pleasure…John Carpenter’s THE THING. Did you know there is an earlier, 1951, version of this movie?

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. Television’s favourite Marshal was the thing. Yes, the one and only, James Arness.

Mr. Arness was in another favourite movie of mine, THEM, mutated ants who ended up killing James Whitmore.

I’m going to force myself to stop now; I suddenly have a craving for the arctic cold. Maybe somewhere watery and deep with its hidden sharp teeth, or a trip to the stars where indigestion is deadly.

Don’t forget to turn the lights off.

5 comments:

Terri said...

Oh yes, those are the classics. Yes, I remember the 1951 edition of The thing. Something about B/W that made that even more stark and terrifying than the Carpenter version, which was great as well.

I also loved all the old Hammer films with peter cushing and Christopher Lee or Vincent Price.

ChrisChat said...

Hammer films! Exactly, I couldn't remember the production company, but every time I saw the name I knew I had to watch.

I need to go dig in my DVD collection and watch some today.

Thanks, Terri.

gail roughton branan said...

Love the originals. The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I I was alone when I watched that. Brrrr. The re-make didn't come close. Alfred Hitcock's Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte. The atmosphere. The sheer shock when that head bounces down the stairs in Hush, Hush! Modern classics: Wrong Turn, John Carpenter's Vampires. No polite romance there. James Woods. A slayer doesn't get any tougher than that!

ChrisChat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisChat said...

The Body Snatchers...oh yes! Hitchcock's The Birds did it for me. It wasn't the mass birds...except at the ending scene or and watching the school yard...but, the smaller birds just watching...sheesh had to remove my own post to edit LOL.

John Carpenter's Vampires...yes, plain ole good vampire hunt.

Fright Night with Roddy McDowall...sorry, new version doesn't make it.