Saturday, October 8, 2011

October in a Flash...

October is a busy month in our house.  It started off with my son's birthday on October 1st, followed by my daughter's birthday on the fourth.  That equals a lot of birthday cake and a lot of screaming kids in a span of three days.  It took a week to recover.

This weekend the fun continues because the kids are fortunate enough to have a four day weekend.  We plan to paint pottery, spend time with family and friends, watch my son play baseball, and take a trip to the mall.

Possibly our favorite October activity is a trip to the local apple farm.  We take a wagon ride out to the orchard and pick as many apples as we can carry.  They are the best tasting apples ever -  they  make a crunching sound at every bite and sweet juice drips down our chins.  At home we eat some, turn others into apple sauce and apple crisp.  My mouth is watering just thinking about the smell of cinnamon and tasty warm apples baking.

In between enjoying the beautiful colors that this time of year brings, we also have a swim meet and a few birthday parties squeezed in here and there.

And then of course the end of the month is HALLOWEEN - when the kids dress up in a costume and go out trick-or-treating.  We always invite all the families in the neighborhood over for a pizza party before the kids and the dads go around the neighborhood while the moms head home to pass out the candy.  It has been a tradition of ours for the past four years and one we plan to continue this year too.  

And all the while during the long, but quick, month of October  I am mentally planning my next novel - because on November 1st - NANOWRIMO begins...

4 comments:

gail roughton branan said...

I remember those days. Enjoy and treasure them!

Michelle said...

I so miss the fall colors. I'm originally from Michigan and we had some of the most beautiful colors in the upper parts of the state. Now I live in Texas and it's still 90 degrees outside.

I'm looking forward to Nanowrimo! This will be my first year to participate and I'm excited. For anyone who is going to do Nanowrimo, I could use a writing buddy. :o)

J Q Rose said...

October is a busy month for you. Our family also makes an annual trip to the apple orchard for petting zoo, corn maze, hayride, etc. along with picking apples! Lots of them in Michigan. This year was different though. We went to the Yee Haw for Fall Festival at the Double JJ Ranch and Golf Resort in Rothbury, Michigan. So much to do..so much fun. We also took in the indoor water park. Best wishes on Nano!!

Roseanne Dowell said...

Ah, visits to the apple farm. While I'm beyond that (I buy them at the store now) I did my fair share of canning them and turned some into applesauce and of course apple pie. Enjoy the time with your children, it goes by so fast.