Monday, October 24, 2011


Zombie Love


Halloween is my favorite holiday. I always thought it would be great to be born on or even married on Halloween. Weird, I know, but I love weird. This year I took my family to a charity event called the Zombie Walk. For a few cans of food, we got painted up like zombies, even my four year old, though he insisted on no blood. Everyone else loved getting sprayed with blood that tasted remarkably like corn syrup. I even opened my arms wide, closed my eyes and said hit me. Sometimes you just have to embrace the bizarre. I adore my little zombie crew. Aren’t they cute in a strange, walking dead kind of way?




The only thing I didn’t account for was that a Zombie Walk actually included walking. It was fun at first joining the hundreds of zombies marching around the village and watching the reactions of all the people driving by or gawking through store windows wondering what the heck was going on. Had the Zombie Apocalypse come at last? Mostly there was a lot of zombie love. People leaning out of their car windows to take photos of the zombie hoard, including my children and especially my youngest who heard thrilled cries of “Zombie baby!” like that was a good thing. The adults who had done this before really hammed it up, dressing like prom kings and queens and construction workers with screwdrivers and saws stabbing through their hard hats. The zombie who did my own make up gave new meaning to pencil neck geek. About half way through I was looking for a short cut back. I know I’m a cheater, but I was tired and all the brains were spoken for.

Later that night there was a zombie feast and zombie prom. I can’t really tell you about the prom because my little zombies aren’t drinking age, so we bailed before then. What I can tell you about is the zombie wedding. A couple who met at last year’s Zombie Walk got hitched for real at this year’s event. Isn’t the bride beautiful? The snow white dress makes a perfect foil for her decaying flesh and I thought the black roses were a nice touch. She gives Bonella a run for her money in the creepy department. The groom even more so. He’s the guy in the back behind another gruesome member of the wedding party.
I wonder what they’ll tell their kids one day when they find the wedding photo album? At least they’ll know their parents knew how to have fun. Writers live in their imaginations all the time, spinning stories about zombies, witches, werewolves and vampires and readers love to visit there, but only in October can you see zombies on parade in the real world. At least for now.  Halloween isn’t just about kids and candy, not if you don’t want it to be. Only one week to go. Enjoy the month before it’s over.
Jolie Pethtel                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Author of ‘Painted Jezebel’   

7 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Vicki Batman said...

A zombie wedding? Very interesting. And your *crew* pix is hilairous! Thanks for sharing.

Nia Shay said...

That has got to be the most awesomest idea ever. Long live (errr, die?) the Zombie Walk! Thanks for telling us about it hon :-)

Natalie said...

My sister in law loves zombies! She went to one zombie walk last year and two this year. I'm going to share this link with her. I'm sure she will enjoy it. Looks like you had fun! :)

Pat McDermott said...

What a hoot! Sounds like you're taking your own advice and enjoying October to the hilt. Thanks for sharing the pix. Loved them!

WritingNut said...

Ooh, it sounds very cool! I love Halloween too :)

S.Durham said...

Great pictures! How unique, a zombie wedding:)

Cheers, Sara