Monday, January 23, 2012

Writing Vampires

I’ve always been a fan of vampires. The darker and creepier, the better. There is something intriguing about their animalistic nature, the idea of how black a human’s soul can get.

I never really had a desire to write about vampires, especially after the popularity of the “nice” vampire. I didn’t like the new type. Vampires are an abomination, an affront to nature, they don’t get to be nice. You may be saying, “Hey, wait, what about Louie from Interview with the Vampire? He was nice.” He was nice-ish. He still fed on humans to survive. And his soul was tormented.

Actually, when I wrote “The History of My Wishes,” I drew a lot of inspiration from that character. What would be so tragic as to force someone into becoming undead? Would that “life” be better than the mortal one they were living? We know from Anne Rice’s story that “life” is not better. It’s still full of tragedy and heartache. So why go through with the transformation? Of course, hindsight is 20/20.



The beginning part of the story came from a dream I had. I don’t remember the specifics, but I do recall and vampire was granting wishes. I woke up and thought, “Whoa! That’s a great idea. How can I make it work?”

I wrote the first part down, then set the story aside. Literally, it sat for months. What tragedy could have befallen my heroine? There are a bazillion horrible things that happen daily, but none of them seemed to fit my needs. I needed something specific, but what? I didn’t know what I was looking for.

I found it one day at work. I read something, and immediately thought, “That’s it. That’s the tragedy.” When I got a moment, I started writing. But then I faced the issue of my hero’s tragedy. What could have happened to him? Love! Of course! The underlying factor for so many of our poor decisions. But it wasn’t love exactly. More like lust. But it’s very easy to get those two confused.

After being on hold for a very long time, I finally had my story finished. But I had my doubts. It was a vampire story, but not a “new” vampire story. My vampire comes across as nice, but he’s really not. Would readers like it? Would a publisher pick it up?

At least one of those questions was answered, but I still have yet to hear from the readers. With any luck, you will enjoy my story, “The History of My Wishes.” If you want to tell me your opinion, I can be reached at pembrokesinclair at hotmail dot com. I also have a Facebook page and a blog.

I thoroughly enjoy writing dark fiction, it gives me the chance to explore the dark side of human nature. I’m the type of person who is fascinated by serial killers and horror films. I’ve written stories about the Devil. What motivates these people to do what they do? Is that motivation something that exists in all of us? Are any of us capable of heinous acts? Dark fiction allows me to explore those things, to figure out how a character would act. There is a safety in exploring those ideas on paper.

If you’d like to check out some of my other dark stories, you can see a list on my blog, or go here or here.

No comments: