Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dear Mr. Reporter, Is there Sacrifice and Struggles for a Writer?

Of course there is.

I'd like to share with you what challenges I experienced and have to step over to achieve my dreams with writing Out of the Shade (and mostly now for Book 2).

Two jobs; so I still write on breaks, lunch hours, when I get home after eleven every night and on weekends. I carry a notebook around
with me everywhere so if I get an idea, a plot line, anything or if I'm just writing scenes, I can jot them down. Then on the weekends I transfer everything in
my notebook to my computer.

Time for my family; being able to sit and talk to them, provide meals, keep the house and laundry clean, go to my youngest sons football
games. Plus help him apply for student loans, college scholarships, pell grants. Plus get him registered, pay fees and send his transcripts to the NCAA and NAIA so that he is eligible to play college football. There is a such delicate balance and neglecting your family isn't an option.

Health Issues; Every month in 2011 I found out I had one health issue after another plus a ton of medications that I must take now. I had sinus surgery in May and a complete thyroidectomy in December. I have to get blood tests every two weeks to check my thyroid medicine levels and my calcium levels. It can take up to six months before my body will adjust to everything and my energy levels will return to normal.

I continue to write because it does for me what I hope it does for my readers! It takes me to another place/another time where I can be immersed in a different world.

I viewed each challenge as an adventure my heroine would face and though I didn't have to beat anyone up - LOL - I did beat up the challenges and came out stronger, with determination, and an excellent relationship with my family who support everything I do 100%. I still even have my wicked sense of humor.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

What a full life. You really must love writing to cling on to it when it would be so easy to shelve it for a while until life settles down

You obviously know if you did put your writing on hold, that would not be a happy situation for you. You need your writing to keep you going. In another post from you, I heard your laughter come through in your words when you were talking about your characters. I'm glad you haven't sacrificed your writing while living such a busy and often stressful life.

Joylene said...

You're very inspirational, Diane. Thank you for reminding me that I can set a decent schedule. I just have to believe it's possible.