Friday, July 27, 2012

The History of My Wishes by Pembroke Sinclair. Excerpt.

When you're told your life is tragic, what else can you do but believe it? To deal with her own tragedy, Stevie drowns her sorrows in alcohol while never venturing beyond a three block radius of her home. A menial existence at best.

Then, a blue-eyed mysterious stranger offers to take away the pain and heartache and show her the world, all Stevie has to do is make a wish...or three.


I chose this particular excerpt because I thought it did a nice job of showing Stevie's inner turmoil.  She has a chance to make her life different, but does she really want to go there?  What will she be giving up?  What will she be gaining?

To read the rest of the story, you can purchase it here or here.  I also have it listed on Kindlegraph, so let me know it you want it signed.  Enjoy!

To find out more about Pembroke Sinclair, please visit my blog or Facebook page.

*  *  *  *


“Do you ever think about your life?”

She furrowed her brow. “What would I think about it?”

“Well, do you ever think about changing it?”

She scoffed. “Why would I change my life? If you ask me, I’ve got it pretty good. I hardly work, I get to hang out with my friends pretty much whenever I want, and I get free drinks almost every night.”

“Yeah, but haven’t you ever wanted more?”

“What more is there to want? Yeah, it would be nice to be rich, but I can marry into that. In fact, I’ve been chatting with this guy online—”

“I’m not talking about that,” I interrupted.

“Then what are you talking about?”

I averted my gaze back to the table. “I don’t know. Maybe seeing the world.”

“And how are you going to accomplish that?” Her voice had an edge to it, as if she was trying to keep her anger in check. “The world isn’t nice to people like us, Stevie. The world is cruel and mean and takes our family away. It throws us to the wolves and expects us to survive. I think, given the circumstances of your existence, you’re lucky to be alive. Maybe you should be thankful for that instead of wishing for something better. I am.”

Luckily, the waitress brought us our food, breaking the tension. Maybe Cate was right, maybe people like us didn’t get second chances. She lost her parents in a car crash and spent the majority of her life in and out of foster homes. The first chance she got, she was out. But maybe Cate was wrong. After all, Jackson lost our parents too, and he seemed to be doing fine. He was getting a college education and would probably have a good job afterward. I guess he was lucky to not remember Mom and Dad at all. Maybe if he’d been older he wouldn’t be able to cope very well. Maybe he’d be just like me.

I had to admit, I was getting sick of my life. All I did was work and drink, sometimes both together. I never ventured outside of a three-block radius. I was tired of wallowing, tired of feeling sorry for myself. But I knew I wouldn’t change. Kenton offered a way out, a new adventure. I had to take it. Yeah, I’d be giving some things up, but I’d be gaining things, too. I turned to my steak and cut into it. Blood oozed onto my plate, and my stomach audibly growled. I ate my steak in about two seconds flat.

Cate stared at me. “Something weird is going on with you.”

The feeling of deja vu swept over me. Jackson said the same thing to me the day before. I just shrugged and waited for her to finish eating.
“You working again tonight?” Cate asked between bites.

I nodded.

“Cool. Jared and I are going to head back down. Bree and Allison are going to come with us since they didn’t get to celebrate Jared’s birthday last night.”

I shrugged. “Whatever.”

We finished lunch, and I headed to my apartment to sleep before I had to go to work.


No comments: