Friday, July 13, 2012

Using A Night In The Woods For Horror

I believe that in order to write horror, you need to have been very, very afraid at some point in your life. It helps to have a lot of fears, like Poe, so that you can use them when you need them.

So I think that if you're thinking of writing horror and you've never had any great fear, a good idea would be to spend a couple of nights, alone, in the woods. It would help if you can go so far out that you can hear no trace of humans. No cars or talking.

Only use your flashlight for emergencies and bring candles.

When night falls, turn off your flashlight, stay in your tent and just listen to the sounds of the forest. You'll be terrified. Animals you can't identify will come sniffing around, there's nowhere to go. When three in the morning comes around and you find you have to go to the bathroom, you'll find out how courageous you really are, especially if you're not going to use your flashlight.

After all that, after you've reached down into your greatest fears, you'll be able to use them. But you do need to feel them first.

3 comments:

Rhobin said...

Even thinking about spending the night alone in the woods scares me -- we live in bear territory and I've had them in my back yard, plus there are all sorts of creepy-crawly things out late at night. That's why I don't camp, although some hotel rooms are just as scary. There is a lot of terror inducing situation to consider in living both on a personal level and in regards to those we love.

Rosalie Skinner said...

I think our bush is less scary than yours. We don't have bears. hehe. Koala's aren't as scary.

I love being out in the night walking with only the moon as light.

Listening to the sounds of the creatures going about their business.

Although, I have never remained alone and isolated all night.
For the time I spent walking freely from one location to the other, it was brilliant. No fear, just elation.

I guess I would feel more fear if I walked the dimly lit streets where people moved in the shadows. Now... that would be scary. :)

J Q Rose said...

Hey, as a kid I had things that go bump in the night in my room all the time! I sure don't want to head out to the woods in the dark in a tent. I've had enough scares to last for a lifetime!!