Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween Party and a Recipe

Every year, my husband, son, and I look forward to Halloween. For me, it's because I can dress up and be something that I'm not. A belly dancer, a renaissance princess, a rock star, or an alien. It's a chance for the imagination to run wild.

In preparation for our annual party, we carved pumpkins and roasted the seeds (see the recipe at the end of the post.) You can see our effort here.


Then, on Saturday, we joined with  family and friends to enjoy good food, good company, and play fun games. (Normally, I grab the camera and get pictures of all our guests, but this year, I forgot to take a single shot!)

It was a night filled with Zombie Dice, Zombie Fluxx, and Apples to Apples (oddly, the game company doesn't have their own link to this). There was plenty of brain ice and chocolate brains to go with our zombie game theme, but I'm happy to say, that though the Zombie king won Zombie Fluxx, the humans all survived the night.

Happy Halloween!







Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Preheat oven to 300
2 cups seeds, well washed
3 cups cold water
1/2 cup salt

In a large pot, mix water and salt, stirring to dissolve. Add seeds and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1/2 an hour. Remove from heat and drain. DO NOT RINSE. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.(Look in on them in the last ten minutes to be sure they don't overcook. They will be a light golden brown.) Store in a dry place. Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

THANKS. Going to make some of the seeds.

Our Halloween has been postponed because of the hurricane.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Let me know how you like them! And stay safe out there.

site angel said...

Looks like a good recipe--very fall festive.
Cheers, Kelly

Mindy Hardwick said...

Thanks so much for the pumpkin seed recipe! I just carved my pumpkin last night and was wishing I had a pumpkin seed recipe!