Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Pet Peeve by Mary Waibel

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a perfectionist. And as a perfectionist, typos drive me nuts. It always amazes me how many words are misspelled in this day and age when most typing is done on a computer, and most programs have a spell checking function.

Now, have I sent manuscripts to Critique Partners (CP's), Beta Readers (betas), agents, publishers, and editors with typos? Of course I have. Have I posted things on my blog or facebook or twitter with spelling or grammar errors? Guilty as charged.

Having gone through the editing process, I was shocked at the typos I found in my own work after having gone over it and over it, not with just my eyes, but with others looking at it, too!

Typos are going to happen. It's inevitable. But, when I'm reading for enjoyment, and there are multiple spelling/grammar/word missing/wrong word used issues, I have a hard time not being pulled out of the story.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, when you're looking over your work look carefully. Your readers will be thankful for the extra time and attention!



A reverse Sleeping Beauty tale where the princess goes on the quest to save the prince.

Mary lives with her husband, son and two cats. When she isn't twisting fairytales, she enjoys reading, playing games, watching hockey, and camping. Her debut novel, Quest of the Hart, will be available from MuseItUp Publishing April 19, 2013. The Lost Princess, a companion novel, will be available from MuseItUp Publishing in August 2013.




13 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Oh Mary, I'm no typist, but I have got faster over the years and it's a pain. I know I have to go back for any use of whether or broad, remember or from/form. I was once the queen of 3 pages an hour - but they were very clean of typos. Three cheers for the computer, Anne

Mary said...

LOL! I'm not a clean typist either, but the computer definitely makes it easier when I misspell. That squiggly red line is sooo helpful!

And yes, from/form, then/than and more recently for me rode/road (yeah, not sure how I managed to goof that one up, either, but I did!)

helenafairfax.com said...

I like your peeve, Mary. At least we can change our typos easily these days - I remember the agony of typewriters and Tipp-Ex!

Mary said...

Oh yeah, typewriter's and I were never good friends. I used to go through the erasers like crazy, and I was only playing with my mom's typewriter!

Love living in the age of the computer.

Marsha said...

Great pet peeve, Mary. I type very fast, but my brain is going faster. So many times I flip flop letters. "Becuase" is how that word comes out as often as not. I just transpose the "a" and "u." It's distressing how many words I do that way. Boy am I grateful for the computer. Cut and paste is my best friend. I'd never have written 6 books. Not even on one of the old selectric typewriters. Then of course, once the words are typed, it's so hard to see them. I mean we know what we were saying, right? Why can't the reader? LOL Oh, they're not in our head. Of course, that explains a lot. :)

Mary said...

Thanks, Marsha! I can't tell you how many letters I reverse when I write (I had to back track four time just writing that second sentence because I was typing so fast I hit wrong keys or missed the space bar!) Computers are a wonderful thing!

Trisha Leaver said...

I seem to make the same mistakes over and over...like my hands are typing faster than my brain sometimes! Great post, Mary!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

In the last five years or so, prior to turning into a senior, I've discovered, well, actually my critique partners have discovered a strange habit. I type HIM when I mean YOU, and YOU when I mean HER. I'm still not sure why.

Pet Peeves, yes. Is it old age? Like everyone says it is? That's my pet peeves, people assuming us oldies have nothing better to do than act old. LOL

Great post, young lady!

Shannon Lawrence said...

You're so right! The more typos, the more I'm pulled out of the story. It takes a lot of them to make me give up, but I've seen some books that were atrocious.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Mary said...

Trisha- same here. You'd think by now I'd know what order to put the letters in for common words!

Joylene- I don't think it's a senior thing- I've used the wrong pronoun, too (although in my case, it's usually he for her, and his for hers!)

Shannon- same here. I'll usually finish the book, but don't feel as satisfied with it as I could have.

Wendy said...

Good peeve, Mary. Typos in the computer age, indecipherable handwriting in the olden days, I'll take the typos any day. At least they can be fixed well enough for a crit group to help with the polishing. I'm guilty of all the mistyped words and of leaving words out. My bigger peeve is that many glaring errors don't become become apparent until the manuscript has been printed out. I need to edit on real paper.

Mary said...

Wendy, in my handwritten sections, I leave out huge chunks of text- fingers can't keep up with the thought! As for printing it out, I haven't done that, but I do change font and font size and read on both PC and tablet to try and find things I've missed.

Mary said...

Lorrie, I got an e-mail with your comment, but can't find it here, so I am pasting it in this one.

Lorrie Struiff said...
I know what you mean. Sometimes my brain and my fingers refuse to stay in sync. Oh what a mess.

Mary says...
My brain and fingers are often out of sync. That's what they made the backspace key for, right?