Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Pet Peeve - Marketing


 
What is it about marketing?

 

You have a wonderful story; you know it, and everyone who reads it tells you so. You have a cover to die for and you belong to the most energetic publishing house in the business. And yet, in spite of the promotional exposure in the social media, guest appearances with gift copy incentives, in spite of leaving postcards on public transport and accosting neighbours and strangers with bookmarks and fascinating commentary, your book remains invisible to the reading public.

 There must be a way to attract attention.

What would I do, in an ideal world?

 Pay for a huge billboard advertisement in  major cities, or a rolling digital display in Time Square.
 
 
 
  Have the cover imprinted on the side of buses or taxis or paint my own car.

 



 Advertise in the sky.


or think outside the box! 


Stand on the Town Hall steps ringing a great bell.



When the crowd gathers, I’d unravel a poster sized scroll of my cover and tell them. “I dare you to read this book! Just as in an alchemist’s hands, lead changes into gold, so too, this book will change the reader forever.”

Or, I could write a script for a theatrical group to enact my story














in costumes hired or sewn by me
and sell gift certificates of the book, at interval, to be retrieved from MuseItUp in the following days.

 
If all this fails to attract sales, I’d create controversy surrounding the book and/or the author and have the book banned.
 


 
That's what I’d do in an ideal world.

 
Although I believe my book is one in a million, it really is one in millions, swamped in a sea of other books, doomed to remain invisible from readers, unless I can find Reader’s Groups who want my book on their ‘to read’ lists.

 I need to find a library or High School group willing to take on the task (pleasure) of reading my book for discussion. For now I’ll continue to speak about THE book whenever I can create the opportunity. It’s amazing how easy it is to turn any conversation towards ‘my novel’. However, one must know when to stop talking –  when the listener checks his watch, steps backwards, looks over both shoulders or smiles with glazed eyes and says, “So it’s an ebook? Is it free?”

Wendy Laharnar can be found at MuseItUp Publishing
Her Website and Blog
Facebook
Twitter

Also by this author


 

16 comments:

Marian Lanouette said...

Excellent post, funny and true.

Cheryl said...

Yeah, talk too much about your books and people get turned off fast. It's a puzzler, marketing.

Edith Parzefall said...

Great post, Wendy. I can just see a mass collision as cars are supposed to drive into the mouth of the sibyl. A giant bat might be chasing a plane in the sky. :-)

Wendy said...

lol Edith. I was wondering what suitable image I could use on that tunnel. What image would you use? The back of a truck load of tomatoes?

Annie said...

Splendiferous post, Wendy. Funny, bittersweet and true. All best wishes for ever-expanding sales--you deserve them.

Pat McDermott said...

Ah, marketing. So much of it is chance, who sees a blog when, who likes the genre you've written. Thanks for putting a humorous slant on such a trying topic, Wendy!

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Wendy, this is my 3rd attempt to leave a comment, but Error 503 keeps throwing me out!
Bittersweet, as mentioned above, is a good description. I have a lot of experience selling theatre tickets and knew it wouldn't be any easier selling books. Still, there's really no choice for us. We didn't at this stage write the books to keep them under the bed in a box. Good luck to us all. Anne

Wendy said...

Marian, thanks! we gotta laugh. :)

Cheryl, so true. The one who eventually solves the puzzle gets the mega sales, if they don't stumble into the answer first.:)

Edith, then we'd have a 'captured' audience.:)

Annie, woman of the perfect word...and sentiment. Hugs :)

Pat, I agree, It's like finding a four leaf clover. We need the help of a leprechaun

Anne, thank you for persevering. You just gave me another idea. Advertize on the cinema screen before the movie begins.

Or make the type of video Book Trailer to goes viral on You Tube.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great post Wendy,
Oh for that perfect world.
You have some great ideas. A billboard across a tunnel could be the light at the end of the tunnel. hehe.
Thanks for taking a humorous look at a pet peeve.

P.I. Barrington said...

Great post Wendy!
The only things you left out were walking around naked with your title displayed "prominently" or wearing a walking billboard.
Thanks for letting us know we're not alone out there!
Patti

S. Durham Writer ~ Author said...

Awesome and sooo true! I especially liked the advertisement surrounding the highway tunnel entrance, now that's brilliant:)

Cheers, Sara

Wendy said...

Rosalie, 'light at the end of the tunnel' good one! Come to think of it, it's also 'light at the beginning of the tunnel' too.

Wendy said...

Hey Patti, great ideas. The walking billboard really is quite practical. I like that. The naked one though, a bit cold in winter and I have to wonder, looking at the width of your cover title just where that might be displayed...prominently :)

Wendy said...

Sara, I love the highway tunnel, too. People are so innovative and obviously have plenty of cash on hand. :)

J Q Rose said...

So far I have not tried begging or crying to sell my book, but some days....!!! Loved your post. Made me smile..

Wendy said...

Janet, even that doesn't work. I know hehehe