Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dear Reader - why did that Place choose me?


Dear Reader, why did that place choose me?

Place is a big factor in my imagining of a story. Lots of other factors have to come together before I have a viable project. Theme and two characters who have need of each other are the main ones.

So what was the place that sparked Mariah’s Marriage, my historical romance published by MuseItUp this month? It was a school-room at the back of a big house in Scotland. The house is called Fasque and I visited it just when the family living there were beginning to welcome paying visitors to look round. It is a lovely house in beautiful countryside and so much about it lends itself to romance. An image that is still very clear in my mind’s eye is the schoolroom where children of estate workers were taught beside the children of the Big House. Over a decade later, Mariah Fox is ready to challenge Tobias about universal education.

Yes, the maturing of a project can take that long – or longer.



In the book, we don’t spend a lot of time inside Tobias’s grand house in Grosvenor Square and we never visit his country house, but the ghost of that school room invests the story for me. It brings aspiration and hopes; chalk dust and sweat and the love and labour of the thousands of pupil teachers who strove to raise awareness and competence among the urchins of the poor.

With humour and a dastardly villain in London, 1822 – enjoy.

https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=585&category_id=69&manufacturer_id=278&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mariahs-Marriage-ebook/dp/B00CMAEKPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368539581&sr=1-1

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/mariah-s-marriage?keyword=mariah%27s+marriage&store=ebook
You can contact me through my web address: mypostoffice@annestenhouse.co.uk
You can read all about my novel goings on at Novels Now http://annestenhousenovelist.wordpress.com

13 comments:

helenafairfax.com said...

I'm halfway through Mariah's Marriage, and very much enjoying it Anne! The villain is definitely a thoroughly nasty piece of work. Interesting to find out how your ideas developed. Lovely post!

Marsha said...

Anne, I quite agree about place. Location/houses play a big part of the stories I write. Maybe it's my theatre background, but I gotta know where the action is taking place and what it looks like. What a gorgeous book cover and good luck with your sales.

Anne Stenhouse said...

Helena, glad you're enjoying it. My DH had to read it for the first time with me not quite asking which page he was on every time he moved his thumb! these joys coming your way on Friday! Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Marsha, A theatre background - I have written plays, although I'm neither performer nor director. Yes, I do need to see the surroundings. Thanks for stopping by.Anne

Jane Richardson said...

So true - certain places have a way of bringing a story right to you. Good luck with your release! :)

Jane x

J Q Rose said...

Anne, you hooked me with having a "dastardly villain" in your story. Best wishes with your new release!!

Beth Overmyer said...

Sounds good! I'm with JQ: A "dastardly villain" is a good hook :)

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Interesting post, Anne - I'm enjoying your book at the moment!

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Jane, well, you wrote Edinburgh Fog and that might be because Edinburgh got to you? Thanks for the good wishes. Mariah has attracted a couple of five star reviews on amazon and a three on Goodreads. Fingers crossed. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

JQ and Beth, the villains are so much fun, but I think Lucas Wellwood is also a bit scary. I enjoyed showing his tentacles through the behaviour of people around him. thanks for dropping by. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Rosemary, reading it as I type. Hmn, now I'm nervous. Anne

Leona~Author said...

Hi Anne, sorry I'm late. Your book sounds very good; I love historical romance books.

My reading has been slowed this past week due to sitting outside Saturday at my granddaughter's house. The grass had just been cut, and my eyes haven't been the same since. It's the worst allergenic reaction I've ever had.

I will definitely read Mariah's Marriage .

Anne Stenhouse said...

Leona, I've just dropped by again and found your comment. I can suffer from allergic reactions to things so I know a little of how you're feeling. I do hope the symptoms ease up. Hope you enjoy, Mariah's Marriage. thanks for supporting her. Anne