Friday, May 10, 2013

Writing Fiction


My idea of Aleyne's landscape
My mother was an artist who specialized in portraits in oils, and while I was never bitten by the art bug, it did leave with a lasting love of art supplies, one that continues to this day. I never considered becoming an artist, though a career as a professional musician did cross my mind. In the end, I decided I didn't love music enough to devote my life to it.

Writing?  Becoming a writer? It never even crossed my mind.

I wrote poetry as a teen, and continued to write it sporadically afterward. At some point, I was bitten by the rhyming bug while doing crossword puzzles. I'm very auditory, and noticed that only certain combinations of consonants occur --  a limited list. I used this to run through the possibilities for filling in the words in the New York Times crossword by running through the possibilities in my head.  Eventually, I became serious enough about the poetry writing to really apply myself.

I only started writing fiction when I joined a writing forum that required all of us to write both poetry and fiction. I wrote my first long piece of fiction, a chapter book about a boy who loses his mother in a fire. Then I spent the next couple of years learning and revising.

I'm not terribly organized, nor do I enjoy planning things out, so no surprise when I discovered my method for writing fiction was similar. I start with the characters, the situation, some ideas about the plot, and the ending. Then I fill in a rough outline -- a page, two, three. It depends. When I start writing, I write a chapter and sketch out the scenes for the next one or two at the same time.

I'm a huge science fiction fan and have been reading the stuff since I was in elementary school, but I didn't write any until 2010, when I decided to overcome my fear of world creation by signing up for NaNo (National Novel Writing Month) and writing one. That was Relocated, which was published by MuseItUp last July.

Then I asked myself one of those oh-so-innocent questions about  one of my characters. The novel the question generated, Broken Bonds, will be coming out in a couple of months. Then I asked a few more questions. That one, "Geek Games," is coming out in November.

I'm working on a fourth.

Now my content editor, Rosalie Skinner, has asked me a question about yet another character. I feel another book coming on.




Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

Marian Lanouette said...

Your poetry is beautiful, Margaret. You are an artist!

Marsha said...

Great story of how you started, Margaret. Congrats! You're on quite a role with all these books.

Wendy said...

Congratulations on your publications, Margaret. Asking questions and having other people bombard you wit questions is a wonderful way for writers to really get a grip on their characters, especially if you feel the need to defend them. That's what I love about face to face writers' groups and great editors.

Margaret Fieland said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. Marian, glad you enjoyed the poem. Wendy, I agree, writers groups and good editors are to be cherished.

Leona~Author said...

I enjoyed reading how you got started. Congratulations on your success as a fiction writer and poet.

My poetry runs toward Limericks I write for my grandkids.

You seem very multi-talented, Margaret.

Joan Y. Edwards said...

Dear Margaret,
Questions lead to interesting places for you and your characters. Keep on writing!
Never Give Up
Joan Y. Edwards

Margaret Fieland said...

Leona, thanks for stopping by.

I love writing rhymed poetry. Limericks are great fun.

Susan Hornbach said...

Thanks for sharing Margaret, I'm not all that organized in my writing either, but in the end it all comes together. Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post.

J Q Rose said...

Margaret, who knows what paths we will take? You certainly are on the right track! Best wishes on your diverse writing career.