Wednesday, August 28, 2013

JQ Rose interviewed by Pastor Christine Hobbs


 
 
Pastor Christine Hobbs Asks Why by J.Q. Rose

 

I looked forward to visiting with Pastor Christine Hobbs, my main character in the mystery, Coda to Murder. We hadn’t talked since the e-book was published last spring, and I wanted to catch up with her and answer questions she might have about the story.

“Hi Chris.” I hugged the slim young woman when we greeted each other in the church courtyard. The top of my head only came to the shoulder of this woman full of grace.

“It’s so good to see you, Janet. Here have a seat. I brought some cold root beers if you’d like one.” She motioned to the floral cushioned wicker chair and pulled out two cans of root beer from a small cooler and handed one to me. I eased into the chair, took off my sandals, and wiggled my toes into the thick carpet of cool grass. The shade of the maple tree was the perfect place to relax and enjoy being together again.

“I’m so curious as to why you decided to write a book about me.” She pointed her finger to her chest and grinned. “The congregation has really wondered too.” Her chuckle made me laugh partly at her self-deprecating joke and because I was a bit nervous. I was anxious about how she felt I portrayed her in the tale of murder and romance.

“I wanted to tell the story of a female pastor and especially one who is loved by her congregation for your teaching, preaching and nurturing.”

“I’m afraid that nurturing business gets me into a lot of trouble. Remember when I took home Mrs. Whitcomb’s cat just until I could find a home for her? Well, she’s a permanent fixture in the parsonage now. And how could I say no to taking care of Abraham the pig and Katy the kangaroo for that couple who were so desperately in need?” She shook her head. “I had to do a lot of research on the care and feeding of pigs and kangaroos.” She grimaced.

“See what I mean?” I laughed out loud at the look on her face.

“I also wanted to focus on your job as a woman in the leadership role in the church. There’s a lot of controversy over having a woman as a pastor and taking on the responsibility of the spiritual guidance of the parishioners. I think you’re a role model and courageous for choosing this career.”

“Hey, when God called, I tried to ignore the first nudge, but I had to answer the continual shouts! However, Janet, you make me sound like I’m perfect and that is definitely not the case. Well, now that I think about it, I guess you didn’t exactly write me as a perfect person. I have this problem of forgiveness even if I do preach God’s forgiveness and how others should forgive those who have hurt them.” She sat on the edge of the chair and gazed directly into my eyes. “Tell me why you had to reveal that.”

I leaned forward and held her hands. “Because forgiveness is hard for everyone, even preachers, Chris.”

We continued gabbing into the late summer afternoon as if we were long lost college roommates. We lightly brushed over the topic of the murder of the church music director, William White, and Christina’s hunt for his killer.  Horrifying as his death was, Christina felt that with God’s help, she and her church family had come together to help each other overcome their loss.

William would never be forgotten, but the wound to the church was deep and forgiveness for the person who murdered him was still difficult for many to embrace.

We parted as friends forever and promised to keep in touch.

 

# # # #

 

Pastor Christine’s story is told in the cozy mystery, sweet romance, Coda to Murder.  To read a sample or purchase the book, go to MuseItUp Publishing- http://tinyurl.com/anax9x7

 


 

TAGLINE: Pastor Christine Hobbs never imagined she would be caring for a flock that includes a pig, a kangaroo, and a murderer.

 

BLURB:  Pastor Christine Hobbs has been in the pulpit business for over five years. She never imagined herself caring for a flock that includes a pig, a kangaroo, and a murderer. 

 

Detective Cole Stephens doesn't want the pretty pastor to get away with murdering the church music director. His investigative methods infuriate Christine as much as his deep brown eyes attract her.

 

Can they find the real killer and build a loving relationship based on trust?

 

BIO- After writing feature articles in magazines, newspapers, and online magazines for over fifteen years, J.Q. Rose entered the world of fiction writing with her first published novella, Sunshine Boulevard, released by MuseItUp Publishing in 2011. Her latest mystery, Coda to Murder, was released in February. Blogging, photography, Pegs and Jokers board games, and travel are the things that keep her out of trouble. Spending winters in Florida with her husband allows Janet the opportunity to enjoy the life of a snowbird. Summer finds her camping and hunting toads, frogs, and salamanders with her four grandsons and granddaughter.

 

Connect with J.Q. Rose online at

J.Q. Rose blog http://www.jqrose.com/



J. Q.  Rose Amazon Author Page http://tinyurl.com/aeuv4m4



 

 

 

 

4 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi JQ and everyone reading the great interview between her and Pastor Christine. It's posted by me as a favour - all comments to JQ, please. Anne Stenhouse

J Q Rose said...

Thanks so much, Anne. Really appreciate you taking the time to post this for me. Looking forward to comments, questions, waves, and hugs here at the MIU blog.

Helena Fairfax said...

Hi JQ, I absolutely loved your interview. Pastor Christine comes across just as she does in your book. What a thoughful touch to bring the cold root beers! I'm glad to know Chrisitne is doing well after the awful events in Coda to Murder!

J Q Rose said...

Thank you, Helena. It was fun to visit with her again.