Saturday, August 10, 2013

Under the Gun

Today Major Brad Reynolds is interviewing me.


Brad: 
When you first wrote me into Relocated,  you apparently had me pegged as one of the bad guys.

Me:
  Um, yes, that's true. You were stiff-necked and a stickler for the rules in the very first draft, which I finished at the end of November, 2010. By the time the novel had gone through SavvyAuthor's EditPalooza, you had emerged as a much nicer guy.

Brad:
But you still hadn't figured out I was falling for Ardaval.

Me:
Nope, I hadn't. It was my writing partner, Karen, who put me onto this. There's a scene in the courtyard at night when  Ardaval kisses someone. In the early drafts of Relocated,  I left the identity  of  the second man a mystery. Karen suggested it was you, and when I looked back at what I'd written, it was clear you and Ardaval were falling for each other.

Brad: 
Even given you'd figured out all that, how did I end up the hero of another novel? And an adult novel at that?

Me:
 When I wrote Relocated,  I asked myself what happened to Ardaval's former partners. My first thought was that they'd died -- easier for me as an author -- but then I realized they'd simply split up.

Brad
  But all they get is a single line in Relocated. What happened?

Me:
They refused to leave me alone. In the end, I started another novel.


Brad:
But Keth was the main character again, no?

Me:
 True, but I had two four-way romances I wanted to write about , yours and Keth's. I had to pick one to be the main plot line. I chose Keth's, but things didn't work out.

Brad {thrusts hands in pockets and grins}:
  No, you liked me much better.


Me: 
  Yes, I did. You had emerged as a man willing to move out of his comfort zone, one willing to stand up for what he believed in, and to accept the consequences of your actions. Your story really gripped me. I  wrote Broken Bonds, which focuses on you.

Brad:
 How much of the story had you worked out before hand?

Me:
   The beginning, how things come out at the end, and some of the plot twists. The rest emerged as I wrote. I don't want to give away the plot and tell readers just which parts simply fell into place as I wrote them, but there were a couple of key turning points that I hadn't figured out until I started to write them.


Brad:
  If the want to know what they are, they'll have to read the book, and they can email you and ask.



Readers can get their copy here:

4 comments:

Suzanne's Thoughts for the Day said...

This article is 'out of this world'!

J Q Rose said...

My goodness, but this character doesn't hold back any questions. Great interview!

Margaret Fieland said...

J Q and Suzanne, thanks for stopping by.

Anne said...

Peggy, it's obvious your characters are real to you. That just makes you a better writer, if that's even possible!

AW