Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Keen Aniversary


Like most anniversary and holidays, the celebration depends on the situation and who is involved. When the kids were home I used to decorate for the holidays like no one’s business. Since they’ve left home? I haven’t put up a Christmas tree in six years. Why should I when I’m always traveling to another home--Christmas Eve in the south of Michigan and Christmas Day in the north? I still enjoy the celebration, but don’t have the clean-up, find and sort, decorate event, or the take-down-clean-up-put-away experience. Easter figurines? Given to my kids for their kids to enjoy; just as they were to me (some are on their 5th generation as decor). Sometimes a holiday means sitting back and relaxing -- like with a good book from MuseItUp or MuseItHot.

Now, my Dad died on Halloween at age seventy-five. We were all heartbroken but glad he had escaped his pain at last, and we celebrated his life even as he left us. At 5:00 PM, my brothers were handing out candy to the very youngest Halloweeners coming to the door while a hearse was parking in front of the house. My older brother was even asking those who looked a little older if they wanted to come in and see a dead body as he dropped chocolates into their containers. Parents stood on the sidewalk looking apprehensive about whether this was a ghoulish Halloween stunt or if they should have let their children intrude. This was not the first such situation for my family. Matter of fact, we’re kind of use to this type of holiday; and my dad? If he’d been with us, he would have been laughing his head off. Like I said, it all depends on the people and situation involved, and most funerals are a different type of keen celebration.

For any fall-winter celebration, a mug of hot-spiced wine (or cider) seems to put everyone in the mood no matter what mood is required: Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 cup of water (see cider content), 5 whole cloves, 1-6” stick of cinnamon broken in pieces in a stainless steel pan. Place over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add 1thinly sliced lemon and 1 bottle of red wine (or eliminate water and use 4 cups of cider), let simmer ten minutes. Serve hot in mugs with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

Since this is a publishing celebration, anyone who comments is entered in a drawing for one of my books, either Crewkin (scifi) or Trixie’s Hot Box (adult urban fantasy).

3 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

Rhobin, sorry for the loss of your dad.

I don't really decorate too much for Halloween, but I do like to pass out candy and see all the cute costumes.

As for Christmas, we didn't put up a tree last year as we adopted a rescue dog a few weeks before Christmas. Adjusting to a new home for him was enough without having to worry about a tree full of ornaments. Not sure if we'll put up a tree this year.

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

Hope your dog is now a full-fledged family member! May many blessings fall on you for taking him in.

Wendy said...

Rhobin, your dad must have been a wonderful man. You must miss him especially at Halloween. Sounds like your brother follows in his footsteps. Did you use the Halloween episode in one of your stories. Having children knock at Halloween on the door is relatively new to us in Oz. For a few years I got caught and had to give them money. Last year I stocked up on lollies. No one came. Poor me, I had to eat them all myself -while trying to lose weight. It's back to money this year.