Friday, October 18, 2013

Blue Moon Sugar Cookies

Happy Anniversary MuseItUp Publishing!

I'm Mindy Hardwick, a young adult author with MuseItUp Publishing.  One of my favorite holiday traditions is making sugar cut-out cookies with my mom and sister. We still use the same cookie cutters I used as a child and spend at least one December afternoon cutting out Christmas trees, stars, and of course Santa!

In my young adult novel, WEAVING MAGIC, Shantel spends a lot of time at her cousin Mia's bakery. One of Mia's signature bakery items is her Blue Moon Sugar Cookies.

Here is the Blue Moon Sugar Cookie Recipe from Mia's Bakery:




                    Shantel’s Blue Moon Sugar Cookies

1 C sugar                          1 C margarine or butter, softened
3 tablespoons of milk         1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg                                3 C flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder       ½ tsp. salt
Blue decorating sugar        Half- moon cookie cut-out

Combine sugar, margarine, milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, mix well. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour. Heat oven to 400 F. On lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with floured half- moon cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets, sprinkle with blue decorating sugar. Bake for 5-9 minutes.




Now, to celebrate the third anniversary of MuseItUp Publishing, I am giving away one ebook copy (any format) of WEAVING MAGIC to one person who leaves a comment below about your favorite holiday cookie memory.  Please leave your email address with the comment so I can contact you! I will post the winner at the end of the day at the bottom of this post.

WEAVING MAGIC:
He loves magic. She loves romance. But the biggest illusion is the one Shantel and Christopher perform together.  Sixteen- year- old Christopher fights to stay sober while fifteen-year-old Shantel struggles in the aftermath of her mother’s death and seeks refuge in a fantasy world. But the unacknowledged roots of their problems refuse to stay buried and soon, the two are headed toward a deadly magic trick. Can Shantel and Christopher move beyond magical illusions to find love?

There is also a free classroom discussion guide for WEAVING MAGIC here. 



Enjoy those cookies!






2 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

One of my favorite holiday cookie memories was when my son was younger and we baked/decorated sugar cookies for Santa.

Thanks for sharing your sugar cookie recipe.

Heather Brainerd said...

Hi Mindy! Sorry I'm a little late getting to your post. We had a wedding in the family over the weekend, so it was a busy one!
I looove cut-out cookies. Back when I was a teen, my mom and I were on the hunt for the perfect cut-out cookie recipe. Of course, we had to taste-test them all! We finally settled on a recipe from Land O Lakes. We use it to this day (decades later!) and still love it.