Wednesday, January 22, 2014

13 Always Does it For Someone...

Fond memories of 2013 have to be May 3rd and September 20th because those are the publication dates of my debut and second novels with MuseItUp.



Mariah's Marriage in May was followed by Bella's Betrothal in September. After hundreds of thousands of words and nearly as many rejections (exaggeration - what exaggeration?) it was thrilling beyond any words to click into the book stores and see my books and my name up there.

But here's a thing - the really fond writing memory of 2013 was Lea's acceptance e-mail for Bella's Betrothal. Why? Well, one success might just be a flash in the pan. The taking of a second book was much more of a validation.  




And for 2014? I gave up making any proper resolutions over a decade ago. Around the beginning of most years, I try to up my success rates at the things in life that trip me up. More house-cleaning. More exercise. Less snacking. You get the idea. This year I'm targeting the clutter. It grows around me in an alarmingly organic way. For two weeks I didn't leave my study without an item heading for the bin. It has slowed down, but there's still progress every day.

And the writing resolution. I will finish the book I'm writing. I will. I will.

And I will never again start a book with characters I think I know and believe they'll do what I say.

Anne Stenhouse at MuseitUp http://goo.gl/f0zFKa

Anne's blog, Novels Now http://goo.gl/h4DtKv

AnneStenhouseAuthor on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/AnneStenhouseAuthor

24 comments:

helenafairfax.com said...

Congrats on your success in 2013, Anne!I hope 2014 brings more historical romances from your pen. Good luck with our next novel!

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Helena, it was a good year for you, too, I think. Power to the keyboards. Anne

Mary Smith said...

I empathise with the more housework and more exercise. The weather isn't helping the latter but I have no excuse for the lack of housework.
Congratulations on last year's successes and good luck with 2014.

Jenny Harper said...

Good luck in 2014, Anne. I empathise re clutter - I can't work in a cluttered space. Doesn't mean I don't constantly live in it though!

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for looking in. I did sweep a staircase and put the washing machine on today. Also wrote a 1,000 words. i know which gives greater satisfaction. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Jenny, I can all too easily work in a cluttered space. I did once try the Jk thing of going to a café. That was great. Can't justify it all the time though. Anne

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I've given up making actual resolutions, Anne, although I have written down a few goals to remind me what I should be doing! I love writing in my favourite café one morning a week with pen and paper, but only for as long as the coffee and cake last.

Dawn Knox said...

Hi Anne,
Your characters don't do as they're told either eh? How on earth do they do that??! Still, it sometimes makes for more interesting stories than I'd originally intended. Perhaps you find that too! Congratulations on your two books!
Dawn

Joan Fleming said...

2013 was a brilliant year for you, Anne. But that's not to say 2014 won't be brilliant too. Let your characters do the talking - they always win in the end.

Sherry Ellis said...

Congratulations on your two books!

I hear you about the clutter. It has a way of growing, doesn't it?

Anne Stenhouse said...

Rosemary, I'd forgotten you did that. Goals sounds like a good way forward. I am quite focussed on getting Book three completed. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Dawn, I once heard a Scottish writer talk about an adjudication she'd done. She made us all laugh by telling us how many of the characters in the entries were being frogmarched through the the work to make the plot work. It's stuck with me and yes, I think listening to the 'fictional' voices helps make the whole thing so much more interesting. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Joan, and 2013 finished on a high for you, too. Thanks for dropping by. I'm really looking forward to your own new book. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hullo Sherry, thank you. Yes, clutter grows around me. I can always dream up a fictional/maybe some day use for almost anything. Truly hopeless. Anne

Bill Kirton said...

Just to say congrats again on a terrific year for you. You're right about the second book. Now all you have to do is write numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., etc. You will. You will.

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hullo Bill, thank you. There are one or two drawers in my house and the sneaky guest might find nos 4, 5, 6, 7... None of them quite finished or finished but by no means publishable. No 3 is on the laptop and very close to completion. Anne

Suzanne de Montigny said...

Yes, I know how you feel about finishing that last book. I'm struggling with the same thing and am straining at the bit.

Kate Blackadder said...

Anne - hurry up and finish that third novel. I want to read it!

Heather Brainerd said...

Congratulations and continued success to you, Anne! Don't you just love it when your characters have minds of their own? I sure do!

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Suzanne, sorry to hear you're struggling, too. Good luck with it. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hullo Kate, thank you. That's a really nice compliment. Anne

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Heather, thank you. Yes, I do like the characters to be self-determined. It's confidence boosting to feel their voices are 'right'. Anne

Rachael Thomas said...

Congratulations on your success in 2013. Two great books and I can't wait to read more from you in 2014.

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Rachael, nice of you to drop in here and thank you. Having one in waiting helps a lot. All good wishes for your work in 2014. Anne