Sunday, January 19, 2014

A 2014 New Year Resolution

A 2014 New Year’s Resolution by Addison James


 Resolutions. I try to avoid them, but I had a physical in December and my doctor was quite firm about getting into better health. No more exercise and diet just for looks, now that I reached the big 5-0, it’s all about health, not vanity. Well, a bit of that, too.



 So I embarked on a diet and exercise regime that I won’t bore you with. I will mention one thing that is changing my life: the goal of drinking one gallon of water a day. Yes, that’s a lot. And it’s not changing my life as in making me thinner or fitter or any of that. Well, it might be, but what I wanted to focus on is how it is now part of my daily logistics.

 Case in point: drinking a gallon a day means drinking water all the time. The end result of this water consumption is that my life is harkening back to the days when my child was being potty trained. That is, I am learning where all the public restrooms are in town. Half an hour is as long as I can last between visits. I must schedule my life accordingly. My commute is between 30-40 minutes; I must visit a rest room before getting in the car. Along with grabbing my laptop, purse and keys, a pit stop on the way out the door is part of my basic requirements. Visiting the dentist for a cleaning? Pit stop. Hairdresser? Same thing. Trip to the mall? I know exactly where the restrooms are in Macys.

 This new reality hit hard when I went for a walk at lunchtime with a coworker. There are some lovely trails in an open reserve space less than a mile from work. We tried a new path that winded along a hillside with a view of the bay. Lovely. Except, the walk was much longer than I had expected and about 45 minutes in I started noticing there were no facilities. Not only were there no facilities, but there were no trees. I’m from Vermont, it’s hard to escape the trees there but here in California, native plants are just grass. The bushes aren’t even that high. My coworker suggested that I just go and she’d block me. Nope. She then tried thinking of conversation topics to distract me while we walked briskly in the direction where she thought there might be a public facility. Let me just say that a port-a-john never looked more magnificent than the one I saw ten minutes later.

 So, an accompanying resolution is time management. Whether I like it or not.

 (My Best Bad romantic comedy short story series is sold through Muse It Up publishing.)

4 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Oh Addison, this made me smile. Memories of getting off the bus while eight months pregnant came flooding (pun intended) back.
Why so much water? I'm a non-fluids person and really struggle with a half pint of anything.
Anne Stenhouse

Addison James said...

Hi Anne,

I'm glad you found my blog post amusing! Honestly, I wasn't sure about posting on such a topic. :) Yes, I once flew cross country whilst 5 months pregnant. Luckily, my fellow passengers understood what pregnancy and fluid retention meant so they always let me go to the top of the line. I was totally ignorant about such things prior to my own pregnancy and felt dreadful that I had made all those pregnant women wait behind me for all those years!

I think the water fills you up and helps flush everything out. My trainer sent me a big long explanation about it which I can't find right now, but I found a WebMd article about it here:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss

Lenita Shives said...

New Year, new goals in life, that’s sweet! It’s not easy to change into a healthier lifestyle but once you get the hang of it, you’ll surely have fun. And by the looks of it, you’re having lots. Now you're able to manage your time wisely between all of your activities: exercise routines, visiting a dentist, and even going to a hairdresser and to the mall.

Lenita @ Dentist4Life.com

Emily Robins said...

Twitter share price fell 1.9% promptly after the ratings were released in the first quarter after it announced the earnings.