Saturday, January 25, 2014

Reconnect With the One You Love



Reflections and goals...
 
Every year I vow to lose the ten pounds I didn’t lose the year before. I also always make writing goals each year and this year I added a few promotional goals. But, my glance back at 2013 forces me to face the truth that I am a bit of a work-a-holic. I work a full-time job with overtime, so time for my writing career is limited to nights and weekends. I work days and my husband works nights. On the weekends, I can’t even ride to the store twelve miles away without taking edits along to work on (my husband is driving).


We have enacted a date night and to my initial horror my husband meant the time would be spent without my computer or endless folders full of marked up manuscripts in progress. The love of my life and I have been married for twenty-two years and we have always enjoyed camping and hiking with our dogs, but have it has been at campgrounds surrounded by other people. So, we took the plunge and bought wooded land farther North where we can camp, hike with the dogs, shoot bow or simply relax. It has been a huge blessing. This disconnect with the world has been our reconnect as a couple.

During the winter, we don’t camp but we go with the dogs and snowshoe for the day. When we’re not at our land, our own little piece of heaven, we listen to music and sometimes dance, yes just the two of us, like idiots till dawn. It’s not expensive things we’re doing but we’re taking the time together. Once in awhile we’ll have movie night, but it doesn’t feel like connecting staring at the television. Sitting around the campfire or snowshoeing through the woods is a better choice for us. Maybe we don’t take fancy trips to exotic places, but it’s okay because we both hate the hassle of travel and we don’t like crowds, so for us our simple life is perfect. Isn’t that what it’s all about? Unplug the computer, shut off the cell phone and reconnect with the one you love. 


Victoria Roder lives in Central Wisconsin with her husband and house full of pets. She is the author of paranormal thriller Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary, action thriller Bolt Action, paranormal romance The Dream House Visions and Nightmares. Picture books An Important Job to Do: A Noah’s Ark Tale, What If A Zebra Had Triangles? and children’s chapter books, Sled Dog Tales and The Curse of King Ramesses II, an inspirational book It’s Not You, It’s Them: Six Choices to Healing & Thriving After Abuse, and puzzle book Directions For Life. Her short stories have appeared in several anthologies. Please visit Victoria at www.victoriaroder.com
  

9 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Hi Victoria, i know what you mean about the ten pounds that didn't come off last year. On the other hand how does someone so busy and actively busy have an extra ten pounds? Your retreat sounds idyllic. long may it continue, Anne Stenhouse

Victoria Roder said...

I keep asking myself that same question, Anne. Joys of too many hours at the computer during the week.

Julie Lence said...

Hi Vicki: Love that you and the hubby take time to connect. I have a friend who celebrates date night with his wife every Tuesday, and enjoy hearing of the restaurants they visit. Think I need to start this with my hubby. Have a great day!

Heather said...

Great post. Date night. No matter how many years you've been married, you still need those.
I love the cover to this book!
Heather G - The Natasha Saga

Marie Laval said...

You are so right,Victoria. The older I grow, the more I realise that what I crave the most is time. Time for simple things, like talking, sharing a hug or a walk in the countryside. I am a workaholic too and have 3 children to look after and a full-time job. Writing is my passion, and guilt is a feeing I know all too much about!

Mark said...

Writing provides intangible advantages, which can't be measured using conventional yardsticks. One of those advantages is the ability to take time off from writing when wnated, to pursue more important matters. Like your spouse (g).

Victoria Roder said...

We've got date night tonight. Trying a new restaurant, doesn't really go with my weight loss goal, but sometimes you have to give and take.

Valerie J. Patterson said...

It's so very important to take time as a couple to reconnect with one another. Steve and I have date night every weekend. I cherish the time we have together. Glad you have some place special to go to get back to the basics!

Valerie Patterson

Heather Brainerd said...

Great post, Victoria! It seems like life just keeps getting busier (I'm looking at you, social media!), so it becomes extra-important for a couple to take the time to reconnect. Sounds like you've found a wonderful way to do just that.