Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sunday Musings: February 23 2014



This is our last musing for February, so let's see...we have love, romance, endings...but no seduction...hmmmm

Seduction reminds me of passion, desire, cravings...ahhh, cravings...or what melts you.

Okay, so how about we go with:

What melts you? What cravings do you just melt into when you fulfill them?

I feel myself melt when I hear Andre Bocelli sing. My daughter would tell you I go crazy when I see baby feet...but I do melt, they're just so cute.

In our house Fridays are French Fry Friday...my mom's homemade ones. Yup, come Wednesday, then into Thursday, I start to crave them. And I was brought up on making Fry sandwiches...starch on starch for sure, but oh all that vingery goodness.

Or what about that first sip of ice cold lemonade...or that bite of grapefruit.


Pauline (P.M.) Griffin author of THE STAR COMMANDOS series

I turn to mush around animals of just about any sort -- four feet, fur, feathers, scales.  They can be cute, magnificent, fierce.   Most monkeys and the higher primates don't have the same magic for me.

Mary-Jean Harris author of the upcoming AIZAI THE FORGOTTEN

There are a some books that I absolutely adore and could read them over and over: Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy, and The Picture of Dorian Gray. Of course, Dorian Gray is such a sinister book, but I just can't get over it, I love it so much. It's sort of like that addictive "yellow book" that Dorian has in the story. As for food, I love sweet potato French fries and cashew butter (but not together!).


I love going to art museums. I melt when viewing a Van Gogh or a Degas painting. I love Degas' ballet paintings and wrote a blog about viewing "The Rehearsal of the Ballet Onstage" at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. (July 1, 2013 at www.susanbernhardt.com) I get caught up in the colors, the movement, his technique. I recently read an intriguing mystery titled The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro about an artist forging one of Degas' bath paintings. I love those paintings as well.


I stand in awe of Van Gogh. His loose brush strokes contributing to the feeling of movement, creating emotion in his painting. Oh and the bold colors he used, unbelievable!


I have many Van Gogh's and Degas' painting on my Pinterest pages. Feel free to view them. The use of art is also included in my cozy mystery The Ginseng Conspiracy when Kay visits a museum and views the works of Impressionists and Post-Impressionists.

Dawn Knox author of the upcoming: DAFFODIL AND THE THIN PLACE

As someone who considers herself a person who is more appreciative of the visual aspects of life, I was surprised to realise that although I love sunsets, landscapes and the beauty of nature as seen down a microscope, the thing that really melts me is music. From Bizet's 'The Pearl Fishers',  to Mike and the Mechanics' 'The Living Years', an eclectic selection of music has the ability to touch my soul and turn me to mush.




Kenneth Hicks and Anne Rothman-Hicks, Coming Soon: THINGS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

This is from a book called Praise Her, Praise Diana.  Diana has been murdering men in a payback for a rape that happened years before.  At this point she is brooding over the idea of killing other people, even other women, who deserve to die for various reasons.  Her obsession is the closest we could come to craving.  One of the women she is describing is herself. 


            Diana sat in the darkness.  She straightened her legs in front of her and crossed them at the ankles.  The room held one tall, thin window over which the shades were drawn so that no light penetrated and she could concentrate fully.  Her elbows rested on the arms of an easy chair; her fingers formed a tent just in front of her face and the tips pressed against each other as a list took shape in her mind.

            Who deserved to die?  

            Did the woman deserve to die who stole a man away from his wife?  Did it matter if she didn’t try to seduce him?  But what woman would say she didn’t ever try to attract a man, if only for the fun of it?  Did it matter that she in fact loved him?  Or that he may have loved her?

            Did the woman deserve to die who refused to see the selfishness of her acts and the pain she caused?

            Did the woman deserve to die who was raped by two animals and who never made any effort to have them removed from the streets where they could harm others?

            Did the woman deserve to die who took advantage of the vulnerability of an older semi-crippled woman, a love-starved old bag past her prime, who knew she had lived beyond her era of usefulness?  

            Did the woman deserve to die who stopped caring about her own children?           

            Did the woman deserve to die who used the Diana killings to help her career?  

            Did the woman deserve to die who would not fight to hold on to the person she loved?

            Did the woman deserve to die who was not moved by the story of even one of her fellow women being raped or abused?

            Did the woman deserve to die who did not want blood revenge for what happened to Heather?

            Did the woman deserve to die who lied to her lover and to her friends and to herself?  

            Did the woman deserve to die who brought shame on the memory of her lover?     

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!



I forgot one craving…reading. Think I’ll put the editing aside for a bit and go do some reading.

Thanks again, everyone for joining us.


If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


1 comment:

ChrisChat said...

From our own Rosemary Morris, Rosemary Morris author of FALSE PRETENCES; FAR BEYOND RUBIES;SUNDAY’S CHILD; TANGLED LOVE

Seduction! What a tantalising word. My taste buds always work overtime when the mango season approaches. And my family are seduced by the thought of fresh mangos with their heavenly scent and my home made mango ice cream.
However, the heroes of my novels would not find it difficult to practice their powers of seduction on me. Fortunately, they are gentlemen who respect ladies and I am too moral to fall for their seductive charm, but not too moral not to be intrigued by it.
For example, Viscount Chesney, the hero of my novel Tangled Love, set in England in the reign of Queen Anne Stuart 1702 -1714, is a man of his time, modest but most definitely capable of seduction.

“The Viscount sighed. A man in his position must marry if only to father heirs.
‘Look an Adonis? Who is he?’ A high-pitched female voice interrupted his thoughts.
Chesney looked around at a powdered and patched lady with rouged cheeks who was staring at him.
‘I don’t know, I think he’s a newcomer to town,’ her companion, a younger lady said in an equally strident tone.
Unaffected by their comments he laughed. Since his youth women commented on his height and his perfect proportions. He did not consider himself vain, but unlike some members of his gentlemen’s club, who took little exercise and overate, he fenced, hunted, rode and walked to keep his body fit.
The older lady inclined her head, the younger one winked before they went about their business.
Chesney whistled low. What would Lady Richelda think of him? He contemplated his future with pleasure. With a smile, he thought of London’s coffeehouses, theatres, parks, concerts and pleasure gardens. Lady Richelda’s inheritance, added to his more modest one, would ensure they could command the elegancies of life.”

www.rosemarymorris.co.uk
http://rosemarymorris.blogspot.com