Monday, March 17, 2014

Flash 23: Leaving

Leaving
by
Rosalie Skinner

He didn’t look up when she left.

The door closed with the familiar clunk.

He lowered his head. Was he to blame? 

Would she ever come back to him?

Desolate. He couldn’t find the heart to eat or drink. Her scent lingered.

Her memory lived on.

Her absence removed all joie de vivre.

Time passed but nothing eased the ache. He sighed, closed his eyes, and wished for her return.

Life demanded attention. Without her, daily routine became overwhelming challenges.

Her company brought meaning to his life.

The door opened. His body shook. His tail wagged.

She was home.


If you like this flash fiction don't forget to vote for it in our voting poll on the left side.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

loved this. Love twists.

Leona~Author said...

Nice, I can see this with my two dogs.

Marva Dasef said...

I always get weepy at lonely dog stories.

S. Willett said...

Wagged his way into my top ten.

JoanCurtis said...

This one made me laugh because I couldn't imagine a "he" being so lost, until the "he" became a canine! Thanks

J Q Rose said...

You got me! Lol

Karen Troncale said...

I'm an animal shelter volunteer, so this story really tugged at my heartstrings. Loved it.