Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Me, my dog and my writing space, by Helena Fairfax

When I first moved into my house in Yorkshire a couple of years ago, this is the room I intended to use for writing in. It's right at the top of the house, lovely and quiet, with a view down onto the street below. I have my bookcase behind me on one wall (not visible in the photo) with all my reference books to hand.
helena fairfax


Somehow, though, I just never got around to using this room. I have a constant companion, my lovely rescue dog Lex, and wherever I go, she goes. She's great company for a writer. She listens to all my plot outlines and thinks they're all fabulous. She also likes to be comfortable and much prefers it when I write on my laptop sitting on the settee in our front room. That way she gets to curl up and sleep whilst I type out the boring bits.
helena fairfax
 So this is my office! With Lex's help, I get a lot more done here than I would do sitting at a desk. And she's absolutely my best critic! :)

 This is me and Lex working on my third novel. My second novel is called The Antique Love, and is available in the Muse Bookstore.
helena fairfax, the antique love


15 comments:

Victoria Roder said...

I love the office space you have, looks great even if you don't use it! Sometimes I can't help but work at my desk because I have two dogs trapping my chair in and a cat on my lap I can't disturb.

Helena Fairfax said...

That sounds a great environment to write in, Victoria! It's lovely that your dogs and cat live together happily. I think my dog would go crazy if another dog or cat came in the house. She gets very jealous (apparently that's quite common in rescue dogs). I'd like to get her to accept other dogs, but I think that day's a long way off! Thanks for your comment!

Heather Brainerd said...

Love this, Helena! The things we do for our fur babies. :)

Helena Fairfax said...

Thanks, Heather! I try and pretend I'm top dog - but somehow that never works out in practise!

Leona~Author said...

Very nice space, Helena. My rescue spaniel, Luna, spends a lot of time beside me when I use my laptop in my bedroom in the evenings.

Our pets do listen well to our stories.

Helena Fairfax said...

Oh, they're great listeners, Leona :) I love spaniels, and Luna's a great name!

Jami Gray said...

Helena, lovely office and even sweeter companion. Honestly, a desk is nice and all, but sometimes you just have to get away--yay laptops!

Helena Fairfax said...

Jami, I so agree about laptops! Can't wait for the weather to turn nicer, and we can sit outside in my back yard! :)

Susan Bernhardt said...

Love your orange office, Helena and your dog! :)

Helena Fairfax said...

Thanks, Susan! I chose a warm colour, as it can get cold up here in the north in winter!

English ( P) Rose said...

A great blog you have here really enjoyed visiting, will be back again for sure. Thanks for following me.

Helena Fairfax said...

Thanks for coming, English (P) Rose. Great name :)

Marsha said...

Loved seeing the pictures of your space, Helena, and your sweet poochie. I know if I'd lost our pups before I started writing, the loss wouldn't have been so tough. After I retired, they lived with me in my office. If I was typing at the computer, one or both were curled up on their large bone shaped pillow. They didn't comment so much about what I was writing, but were very good at making sure I got up and moved around, especially at meal times. The Jack Rusell was quite good at telling time. :)
Now I use the laptop when I've gone on a writing retreat, but I really prefer the bigger screen and the curved key board. I can type a bunch of words very fast on it.
This was fun.

Wendy said...

Hi Helena, We have much in common. This is so much like my writing space in front of a lovely sunny window, over on the MuseItUpYoung blog. It's wonderful to have such a close companion isn't it. I like that your Lex listens while you read your plot outlines. My Spitzli curls up on my lap and sleeps while I read aloud from my PC. Then it feels a bit cramped at my desk.

Helena Fairfax said...

Hi Marsha, I think dogs are the perfect friends for writers. They listen to us work out our stories and they force us to walk, as you say - otherwise we would be happy to sit down all day writing!
I checked out your writing space on the MuseItUp Young blog, Wendy, and it's lovely! Your Spitzli is really cute. What a great writing companion!