Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sunday Musings: June 1 2014



Hi,

Did you find time this week to giggle and dance like no one was watching? Sure hope so.

This week we’re going to fly with Muse author, Heather Greenis' suggestion:

Do authors integrate music into the stories.  I know a few of us write with music playing in the background.



Chris...for editing I tend to play opera in the background as it breaks the silence but because I don't know the words or really the music by name, it doesn't distract me.

When I come across music in manuscripts I'm editing, well...unless it's a period piece (even set in the '80s is a period piece) you want to watch out for music. Outside of dating your piece, I've found some...and this is from reviewing as well...it doesn't match the character's age. It fits more with the author's memory and tastes.

Let alone needing permissions  LOL.

However, it can set a mood which can help write the mood



In Broken Bonds, one of the major characters is a musician. She plays an alien stringed instrument called a rill. I'm a wind instrument player myself, so I researched stringed instruments because I needed to picture the blasted thing, know what I thought it sounded like, etc. I decided it was shaped something like a lute, and played with the instrument in one's lap, rather like an autoharp. It came in various sizes. I wrote the words to several songs for my character, Nidrani, but I haven't done the music.  The instrument plays a significant role in the book, but, of course, most of the stuff about the instrument itself didn't explicitly make it into the story.

In the fourth Aleyne novel, the one I'm trying to finish up,  another major character plays the piano, and, again, this plays a significant role in the story.




I tend to use music in my novels. Our stereo goes on shortly after we rise and isn't turned off until after dinner, when we're ready to watch the television. Jazz, classical, country, talk radio, etc.  My characters have an enjoyment for tunes. 

In the first book in the Natasha Saga, Natasha's Dream, concerts and theatre are mentioned. Music is carried through the entire 4 books.





I don’t really use music that much in my stories. However, in my new novel, When My Life Changed, coming out this fall probably, one of the characters has “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” as her ringtone for one of her friends. I don’t need music to write and usually I can write when it’s silent. I have thought about adding music, but seeing how I had to go through so much trouble to add quotes from Dr. Seuss to my first novel, I think it would be difficult to add song titles and cost a lot of money. I know that videos of TV shows sometimes need to change songs because they couldn’t get the rights cheaper.

I do like the idea of using music to create an environment or as a historical marker, but so far I haven’t needed to do that.



When writing I prefer to have music on (or the TV) because I cannot stand silence. Besides, if the writing is time-specific, it sometimes helps stir memories or emotion (the Vietnam War) or helps create an atmosphere (music from the Civil War or Cavalry songs from the 1800s Western Plains). Only twice have I integrated music into my writing; once is in the forthcoming SHARING RACHEL. She loves classical music, so I did research and a lot of listening in an attempt to describe the music that is interwoven throughout the novel. The second time is the sequel PRAIRIE MUSE, except this music was from the Vietnam War era. Bottom line, when writing, music (or TV) is essential to me.



I don't usually listen to music when I write, though I usually sit outside when I can, and then I have the music of birds and the wind, or water if I go by the river. I'll usually only listen to music if there are loud noises around that I want to block out. Sometimes I listen to classical music, like Vivaldi or instrumentals from movies like Lord of the Rings. I've tried to listen to music with words, but it usually just distracts me, and when I re-read what I wrote, I might find some words that are completely out of place, which turn out to be words from the song I was listening to. It definitely makes you think about how people can be affected in their work by what noises or music there is around them.




I don't have music playing in the background when I write. I have HGTV on in another room. The changing of the shows acts as a sort of time keeper. (Yes, I know the computer has the time in the bottom right, but for me this works. :))

A couple of specific songs have influenced my writing. The first one will date me terribly, but oh, well. It's Barry Manilow. I love all of his pieces, but Weekend in New England always gets me. He talks about the rocky coast of Maine. (My favorite state.) When I write, I want to capture the passion, he expresses in his songs. I have a long way to go.

The second piece of music is by a composer introduced to us on our last trip to Maine. Two sweet ladies in a small gift store had the best music playing. We asked what it was and they said it was by Tim Janis. We bought 3 of his CDs. They are all great, but my favorite piece is Water's Edge from the CD of the same name.  Oh, boy does he capture the spirit and beauty of the state, absolutely stirring--like standing on the bow of a sailing ship. Interestingly my WIP is set in Maine.

I know lots of folks have whole playlists with their writing. I'm so bad with names, I had to go look these up. That's probably why it doesn't work well for me. :) But like everything in writing. Find what works for you and stick with it. :)



IVA VALENTINO, author



I never listen to music while I am writing…it is much too distracting for me! I love music and feel very inspired by it. However, I frequently find myself singing along, or wanting to get up and dance. In order to really focus on my writing, I need complete silence.

In Black Cats and Ballet Slippers, my main character, Gemma, is a ballerina. Although I don't use specific names of songs or music in the book, music is definitely a very important part of dance.

A lot of times I come up with playlists of songs that remind me of my favorite books. I'll be listening to the radio or a CD, and then I'll think "Oh, this song reminds me of when (insert scene) happens!" Then I'll listen to my playlists while I'm driving, cleaning house, or simply relaxing. :)


DAWN KNOX, author

I very rarely listen to music when I'm writing. I like silence but occasionally, I turn on the Beatles or Train. As I'm not very musical, I haven't incorporated any music into any of my writing so far but I'm now keen to have a go!


BRYAN FIELDS, author

I did a blog entry a while back about the soundtrack I’d use for “Life With a Fire-Breathing Girlfriend” and it covered several of my favorite sources of inspiration.  The entry is at http://laughingotterslair.blogspot.com/2014/01/music-to-date-your-dragon-by.html



Two of my favorite albums are the soundtracks for ‘Conan the Barbarian’ and ‘How to train your Dragon’.  Both have great mood pieces for romance, action, and despair.



My guilty secret of writing music is a two and a half-hour playlist of disco hits.  Xanadu, Saturday Night Fever, the Village People, Blondie – It’s a bouncy, keep –things-moving collection.  I do, however, make up for it by having a good collection of AC/DC albums.



From time to time, I also use vintage comedy albums, especially Bill Cosby, Hudson & Landry, Monty Python, and the Capitol Steps.  For dramatic scenes and getting over writer’s block, ‘Cats’, ‘Phantom’, ‘Evita’, ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ work quite well.




My characters love and appreciate music.  They listen to symphonies from prespace Terra and 'orchestrations' from Varn's ultrasystem plus traditional homeworld tunes and material heard in other locations.  The characters in my other books also enjoy it.

I love music, too, listening to it, that is.  When the Lord was handing out talent in that area, I was on a secret, urgent mission to the nether regions.


CHUCK BOWIE, author

This is my favourite Sunday Musings topic to date!

But it is challenging for me to limit what I listen to when I write. I’m a musician, raised in a musician’s family, with 2 musician sons. Yes, it’s a passion. So I have to keep my favourite songs out, in order that I can stay focused.

But jazz and classical are amazing inspirations to write to, because they are (mostly) instrumental, yet offer up the serotonin / endorphens to complement the Muse.

On Friday afternoons I treat myself to pop music from the fifties (before my time) and sixties (the formative years). I become a less-efficient, but happier writer during those hours.



In my opinion, music and writing go hand in hand. I can’t do one without the other. So I listen to inspiring soundtracks or mood music when I write. Naturally, my love of music leads me to incorporate it into the story

In my first book, Not Long Ago, I refer to it only vaguely. However, when writing In My Own Shadow I went a bit further.

And in From Now On, I went as far as to write the song Rhylie sings as they approach Manx Island.



Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.


If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


















2 comments:

Marsha said...

Quite a lot of variety here. I FBed & Tweeted. :)

Heather said...

Wow! Lots of input. I tweeted!
Heather G - Natasha Saga