Monday, June 9, 2014

How I Learned to Swim

As part of this week honoring the World Cup we were asked to write about a sports experience we had. When I was a little girl I went to camp every summer. There was a pool there and we always had swimming lessons. I was afraid of the water and didn't want to dive at all. All I could do was the dog paddle. I tried to pay attention each summer to the swimming teacher, but when I got into the water I was too scared and didn't learn much at all. I continued this way every summer until I got to be thirteen. That summer we were offered a chance to become Red Cross certified in Life Saving. I wanted to get into this program so this time I really tried and I learned to swim across the pool. We needed to be able to swim the entire length of the pool to get our certificate as well as learn to save people in the water. I remember the day of the test how worried I was I wouldn't be able to swim the pool, but I did and then I was able to learn how to save lives. I got my certificate that summer and I could say that I was a swimmer. I even learned to dive off the side of the pool.

Barbara Ehrentreu, author of If I Could be Like Jennifer Taylor

1 comment:

Wendy said...

That took a lot of courage, Barbara. You did it and you know how to save lives. A double bonus. Good on you. I can only struggle across the width of the pool, so I am in awe of you.