Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sunday Musings: July 27 2014



Hello, again Musers and Muse Friends alike. 
Sunday Musings...go anywhere

Last week we went back in time to visit our younger selves. While that prompted this week's musing...what would we tell our future selves?

Now I'm fifty...don't mean for anyone else to tell ages...but couldn't help think with these past years experiences and lessons, what would I tell older self.

Probably the same things I'm trying to remember now...stop worrying so much. Take only the blame that is mine. Give myself a break, I'm not super woman or perfect. Get writing. Dreams are for everyone at any age. I am and was loved. I love and loved. I did and continue to do the best I can. 

And for my daughter...keep on Wooga-woogaing.


DAWN KNOX, author

It's hard to say how a conversation between Me Now and Me of the Future might go but one thing's for sure, there would be more interaction than between Me Now and a Teenage Me. The Teenage Me would have just listened and said very little - not necessarily acted on anything - but not questioned anything either.

Me of the Future would most certainly have discussed and argued! I've definitely learned how to stick up for myself a bit more than in the past and I expect Me of the Future would be even less receptive to anyone's criticism or suggestions.

In fact, I think it would be the Me of the Future who would do most of the talking, wanting to know why Me Now hadn't looked after herself better and made it easier for Me of the Future!

I'd like to think  there wouldn't be too many recriminations though and possibly even a congratulation or two!


I would tell my older self, "Keep writing and keep reading, Lady.  You love both.  It is your work, your calling, and it's important."  In support of the last statement, I would remind my older self about the responses received from readers over the years which stated that our works brought them pleasure, brightened their day, and even, in some cases, helped them through difficult times in their own lives.  I would conclude by declaring, "There are always more tales to tell, so go to it, tell them -- and have fun doing it."

KIM BACCELLIA, author

I’d tell my older self not to be in such a big hurry to get published.  That it’s okay to take my time and polish my work off.  I’d remind myself to remember what my UCI writing teacher told me, “It’s better to not be published then to be published poorly.”  Also not to be afraid to try new things like going to conferences, places by myself. 


This is a hard one, because I don’t know what I would say to my older self. I am hoping that in ten years I will still be a functioning human being. I have seen what age does to people and I am hoping that I won’t be in that situation. I am also hoping that my novels will be read by teens and used in schools. I would love that to happen and I hope that my older self will have been able to finish my now 3rd novel and brought the 4th one, strictly for adults, into the world. I don’t really know who I will be in ten years, because I have changed so much in the last ten years. I am hoping that I will still enjoy the basics of the world and that maybe I will be a grandmother.


When my older self gets bogged down and feels as though she's not meeting her goals, I would tell her to stop stressing and remind her to stand back and think about what she's accomplished so far. Sheds a whole new light on the subject.

IVA VALENTINO, author

If I could travel to my future self, I would tell her the following:
“Enjoy every moment! Every step of the way is part of the journey. Enjoy the writing process and don’t be in such a hurry to get everything done. Keep reading and writing as much as you can. And don’t stress! Do more YOGA.”



Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.

If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com



5 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Lovely observations from everyone who contributed. What would I say to me of the future? Relax! As my oven has just given up the ghost, this is harder than you know.
On the other hand, my Bella's Betrothal is currently (24-27th July) on special and I see a copy has been sold in Canada. sitting on my hands wouldn't have done that. Hmn!Anne Stenhouse

Susan Royal said...

I had to think about this one for a while before coming up with something good, but I do love your questions, Chris and everyone's thoughts. Believe it or not, doing this every week helps keep my mind working and the ideas flowing!

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks everyone for sharing these great life perspectives. It's those thoughts that keep us going when it gets rough.

And that's what I'd tell my younger self, two things from some of my favorite movies: Never give up, never surrender. Just keep swimming.

Marsha said...

I enjoyed this so much. As usual, y'all just come through brilliantly. I thought about the question a lot, but it was a busy week. Guess, I'd say, keep on doing every single thing you can to keep the body moving and the mind active. Remember to love yourself exactly as you are. Thanks for these great questions, Chris.

ChrisChat said...

You're making me blush...but as I've said from the beginning...only works when we all work together. Every success is a success for us all. Support and teamwork. Plus, you're all keeping me on my toes ;)