Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Musings: August 17 2014



For this week we'll go simple
As a writer, what do you fear.
Me? I fear success...







Yes, I fear success. What if I write a book and it actually sells and reaches readers? What then? What if I'm a fluke writer? What if...

I believe every story starts with a 'what if' or a version of this thought. We writers run with that thought and develop the world and characters which match it. Hopefully, listening to them. What if I have no more what ifs?

Worse, what happens if you, the reader, want more?

I can venture out of my comfort zone for everyone around me. Venturing out for myself scares the dickens out of me.



A simple answer for a simple question.  I fear not writing well or that a book or story will fail to move or really interest me.




Writing has become a hobby, rather addictive at that. It's a great release that allows the many facets within me a release.  I fear the day it's no longer fun or enjoyable. 



What do I fear as a writer?

That I will no longer be able to write.

All through school, I was the 'odd kid'. Never fitting in with any group, always hopeless at sports.  The only thing I ever felt I was ever any good at was writing.

I fear ending up with Alzheimers, or some other brain disease that will take away my ability to create stories.  I met a man once who'd been a poet until he'd had a stroke, and his brain had been affected in such a way that afterwards he was no longer able to write poems.  I've heard about drugs to treat things like epilepsy that affect concentration and creativity.

I fear such things more than I fear death.  Death is inevitable, and will come to us all.  But the concept of still being alive, but unable to write? That scares me.  I believe I was put on the earth to be a writer.  If I can no longer write, there would be no point to my existence.




As a historical novelist I fear getting even the smallest historical factl wrong. The shelves of my bookcases are bowed with the weight of books for historical research and I borrow many library books to increase my knowledge. I also fear negative reviews of my novels.


DAWN KNOX, author

As a writer, I aspire to entertain, uplift, sometimes to provoke thought but I never wish to offend. So my fear is that readers might misinterpret something I've written and be offended. Occasionally, whilst speaking to someone, I pause, trying to find the correct words and they jump in and finish my sentence for me with either the opposite of what I meant or something completely different, showing we are not on the same wavelength at all. I then have a chance to explain further but when I've written something, I don't know how it's been received and have no opportunity to explain my meaning.

JAMI GRAY, author

Oh man, this one can cause chills, Chris. As a writer I fear that my next story will be boring...trite...predictable and then the world will implode and I'll be finished as an artist. I'm sure I'm not the only writer out there who faces this, but honestly I read all the time (when not writing, raising family or working) and the amount of fantastic stories is astounding. So to kick my deepest fear in the butt, every book I write, I set a personal challenge--how can I do a deeper POV on this one? can I surprise my characters and readers with this plot twist? this time can my character break a rule and get away with it? I've found this is my best bet on keeping my worst nightmare busy elsewhere.



My greatest fear is I'll run out of time and leave this world with things undone.

 


Dear reader, thank you again for joining us and we’d love to hear from you. Keep smiling and have a fun week. Never stop believing. See you next Sunday…nothing better than being cozy in bed with some Musings.

If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com

No comments: