Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sunday Musings: October 19 2014

Pepper Approved


What book scared you?



Why and How.

 

Yup, it's October. People like and don't like Halloween for a variety of reasons. So we're digging into that fear.



So, why did it scare you.



And how did the author do that.



Now, I have to go to Clive Barker's BOOKS OF BLOOD series. That man freaked me out. His mind freaks me out. However, there is one book which I have never, ever, been able to finish GERALD'S GAME by King. Nope, just the idea of being handcuffed to a bed in the middle of nowhere with no one around but a dead body. Yup, never finished that book.



Oh, and for the record...editing THE DOLLMAKER by our Justin Robinson, and Michael Infinito's 12:19, yeah, let's just say...yeah...uhm...did not edit at nighttime.



Onward to our Musing Family...





Well, Halloween doesn't scare me, never did, although I must admit as I grew older, opening the door late at night to strangers wasn't entirely comfortable for me.  So, once the little ones started looking a lot like the much older ones, I turned off the lights and didn't answer the door.



As far as how the author scared me... not sure where you're going with this, but the only book I read that scared the crap out of me was the Barbara Michaels'  story, "Ammie Come Home," not because there were monsters per se, but because it's a old fashioned haunting and entirely within the realm of possibility.  Another good old fashioned ghost story is "The Uninvited" dates from the 40's I think and was made into a movie.  Highly recommend both reads for those of you who like the genre.  Otherwise, as far as what else scares me, I tend to be bomb proof.





Halloween was never an event in my family.  Currently, I love seeing the small children (and dogs) in their costumes.  Since I live in an apartment building, I don't see trick-or-treaters.  For sure, no one will buzz any strangers in late at night.



I can't recall offhand every being scared by any fictional story or movie.  I immerse myself in good ones, but somehow the hair does not stand on end.  Nonfiction will increase the heart rate on occasion.  I know what I read happened and that it can happen again.



KIM BACCELLIA, author


I’ve always LOVED this holiday.  As a child my mother would round us all up and we’d go to the houses that gave out huge chocolate candy bars.  Also loved this holiday as a bilingual teacher.  The next day is Dia de Los Muertos-Day of the Dead.  I loved the whole ceremony of sugar decorated skulls and remembering our loved ones that had passed by decorating altars with their photos and things they loved in this life.  It’s a day of celebration and remembering.



Now on the scary movies?  I’m not much into graphic, guts, and blood movies but rather the psychological horror ones.  Loved the original Japanese version of THE RING.  Creepy, spooky.  Just the way I love them.  Also the mini series IT by Stephen King freaked me out big time when it first aired.  To this day I HATE clowns.



BETH OVERMYER, author


Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None had me pretty good and terrified at the tender age of fifteen. Without giving any spoilers (spoilers are the worst!)...there are multiple murders done according to a children's poem. To take something innocent and then morbidly twist is just so wrong, it is definitely a good way to give me the creeps. Also, the characters were relatable enough that the suspense of "who's next?" and "how will their murder fit into the poem?" was enough to have my heart racing.



But the real kicker was the ending. After finishing the book, I left my room in a daze. I thought I was home alone, when my twin sister jumped around a corner and shouted "Boo!" Yeah, I screamed bloody murder. She thought it was funny--until SHE read the book late at night and ended up sleeping on my floor because she didn't want to be alone. Haha! Poetic justice



DAWN KNOX, author


The first story I had published was a horror story, so it seems strange that I dislike scary stories and never read them. The last book that I remember which frightened me was the 'Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton which a teacher read to us at school. I think I was about seven years old! I became completely engrossed in the strange world the author created and I remember being disturbed that the characters repeatedly put themselves in danger. I associated so completely with them, I experienced the fear I would have felt, had I been with them in reality. I also read 'Rosemary's Baby' by Ira Levin when I was a teenager and I seem to remember I found it frightening but strangely, I can still recall details of the 'Magic Faraway Tree' but nothing of 'Rosemary's Baby'.






Thanks for joining us and see you next week!



 If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


1 comment:

jean hart stewart said...

Books don't scare me, but some movies send me screaming. There is one very old Lon Chaney movie that scares me witless.