Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sunday Musings: February 1 2015

Photo by Christine I Speakman (ChrisChat)


Hello and Happy February Muser Family and Friends!

We're keeping it simple...sense a trap there...this week: What's your favourite word...and why?

Hmmmmm...

SJ SMITH, HOT author

The majority of my favourite words are not fit to be written here, so I'll opt instead for something that falls within the bounds of decency. 

I choose 'ymlaen' - a Welsh word which is pronounced umm-line. It means 'ahead', 'onward' - keep moving forward and never take a backward step. It's very poignant to me at this moment in time.

DAWN KNOX, author

I know this is rather odd and I hesitate to say it, but my favourite word is ‘pants’.

I just can’t say it without smiling. It has a very satisfying sound when spoken out loud, especially if you say it slowly.

You probably use pants each day, although it may not be a word that needs to be spoken because we all know what they are. Or do we?

In the United States, ‘pants’ are what we in Britain call ‘trousers’. And in Britain, what we call ‘pants’ are what are called ‘shorts’, in the United States. I expect this has caused some exciting misunderstandings.

Interestingly, ‘pants’, when used as an adjective is slang for ‘inferior’, ‘sub standard’ or ‘lousy’, which seems rather… well, pants.

Go on, try saying ‘pants’ out loud. Say it slowly and repeat. But remember, it can be addictive.


I like the word perfunctory. I like the sound of the word.I like the way it looks.  I think it's a great adjective and I try to use it once in each of my mysteries. A perfunctory handshake...doesn't that sound cool? Music to my ears...lol.


Defenestration is my favourite word.  It's a very cool five syllable word and as a noun it refers to the act of throwing someone out of a window. So it relates to violence, and still manages to be cool, and it's not a word you get to use very often.

It's a word that just cries out for a book to be written around it, and in actual fact It inspired the murder in DEAD COOL, in which the victim is killed in a fall from a hotel window (but of course it's murder so he didn't fall - he was pushed).  While I was writing the book, my working title for it was "The Case of the Defenestrated Rock Star".  In fact I was very tempted to keep that as the title but in the end decided to go for the less long winded "Dead Cool".

VAL ADOLPH, author

'Inamorata' is my favourite word,at least for today. It means simply 'lover' or someone a person is in love with. It sounds deliciously slutty, as if you are in love with them, but you didn't ought to be, as if it is somehow sinful. Besides it rhymes so neatly with garter.

THEADORA MITCHELL, HOT author

Toodaloo.

Yes, that is my favourite word.

Being the undercover author for someone else, I have to approach my interactions differently. I know I will slip up somewhere down the line...please forgive. I am serious about all my writings, but a distance is required between my erotic and say my attempts at middle grade or YA stories.

Even from my other identity. Some friends and family do not know I write outside my expected type.  Therefore, a new voice. An auto-sig line - one less chance to screw up.

Toodaloo - fun, light, somewhat silly and yes, it comes with finger waves and a wink.

K L MARION, New Muse author

My favourite word is 'Onward!' because it is such a strong, hopeful word. :-)


This took a while, because I don’t ever think about my favorite word. I think probably it’s one of the ones that is really used in the wrong way a lot of the time. I think it’s also the word that I use a lot of the time in the wrong way.

The word is:   amazing

Yes, this is a very, very popular word these days. Everything is amazing. But for me I use it to describe something that seriously, to use another very old expression, blew my mind. I would use this word to describe as an example, The Taj Mahal, which I did have the pleasure of seeing in person. Or an absolutely beautiful sunset that would bring tears to my eyes. Or maybe the way I felt when I learned both times that my book was going to be published. Or maybe the way I felt when my husband to be kissed me for the first time. All of these are correct ways to use the word amazing. 

However, sadly, I often use it for events on TV or other more mundane things. Still I do think it has its place when you can use it. I don’t think I really use it in writing, because as I said, its correct use describes an indescribable experience. So it’s hard to use it when you are writing unless your character is going through one of those experiences. If my character were roaming along the boulevards in Paris and she happened upon the Eiffel Tower then she might use that word. Or perhaps tasting the food in a four star restaurant might be a place for this word. Otherwise, it’s not a word to use lightly in writing. I love it in conversation, though.

ADDISON JAMES, author

Onomatopoeia
Love that word!
It's so fun to say.
And it says what it means : a word created by the sound it makes, like cuckoo, or sizzle.


I love words and the impact they can have when you string them together in just the right way. My favorite? There are many. The only one that comes to mind right away is honorable. It seems to say so much when you pair it with a noun. Honorable man, honorable intentions, honorable life. When someone is honorable, they are honest and trustworthy. They have a code they live by.

Thanks for joining us and see you next week!
  
 If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com

4 comments:

Anne Stenhouse said...

Favourite word? Have had favourite words through times past. Fab/fabulous comes to mind. Now, though, too many to choose. The Scots word dreich, mostly used when staring out at rotten weather, is much used here.

John Rosenman said...

One of my favorite words is transcendent. As in transcendent skills, a transcendent gift or imagination. I taught a course in literary transcendentalism (Emerson, Thoreau, etc.), and it appeals to the mystic, cosmic side of me which is reflected in some of my writing.

Also, when you grow and mature, overcome old bad habits and do something beautiful, you transcend your old self and do something transcendent. The word has strong religious and spiritual connotations and suggests striving to become better and more complete.

John Rosenman said...

One of my favorite words is transcendent. As in transcendent skills, a transcendent gift or imagination. I taught a course in literary transcendentalism (Emerson, Thoreau, etc.), and it appeals to the mystic, cosmic side of me which is reflected in some of my writing.

Also, when you grow and mature, overcome old bad habits and do something beautiful, you transcend your old self and do something transcendent. The word has strong religious and spiritual connotations and suggests striving to become better and more complete.

Susan Royal said...

Another word that just came to me was 'directly'. If Mama left me at my grandmother's house, I might ask when Mama was coming to get me. She always answered, "Oh she'll be here directly." I used to wonder how long that was...more than an hour or less?