Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Musings: March 1 2015



Happy 1st March Musers.
 
I don't know why but I'm a little weepy...a good weepy. But still a tad weepy, maybe it's watching Masterchef Canada and listening to the dreams of these people.

Maybe it's just a mama-moment as I think on my daughter's future and her dreams...all good, no worries there.

Just a weepy moment...week?

So...for March 1st...what was it like that first time your dream came true.  Any dream, not just writing, any dream.


I've had a number of dreams come true.  The first time I sat on a horse's back.  My little Chihuahua, whom I got when my family moved from an apartment to a house.  (I traveled through a blizzard to get her.)  When I bought my own little apartment, where I still live and which I still love.

The biggest dream was my first sale.  It was a double event.  One Friday, I learned the short story "Covenant" had been purchased for an Andre Norton anthology.  The following Monday, Cherry called to announce STAR COMMANDOS had sold.  I felt like rocketing up through all fifty floors of the building where I worked but, of course, remained quiet and reserved.  That was a few days prior to my leaving for my then-annual vacation in Ireland.  When I met my parents and we were in the car going home, I made the grand announcement.  My mother said nothing for several minutes, then she remarked, "All those years, I thought you were crazy locked up in your room scribbling away."  I responded, "That hasn't changed.  Only now, they're paying me for it."

The second part of that fulfilled dream was when I actually held the book in my hands.  It is a feeling, a joy and thrill that has never lessened.  Each one excites me.

CHUCK BOWIE, author

I’m having a good month, in a good year, of a good life. When I was a kid, each year I remember eating salmon every night from May 1st to Oct 1st (commercial fishing season). This was because I would clear the nets for my great uncle, and he paid me in trade. If it wasn’t for salmon, our family’s circumstances were there would have been no protein for supper. I used to dream of beef! But I didn’t dream of being a writer (or owning a house or even getting married). Some dreams just seemed at the time to be a bit unachievable.

But you move on, somehow you get into university, acquire a debt, but also acquire a career. Things get better, you get to see more of the world and realize the role hard work can play in realizing dreams. Meeting the right person--The One--at age 19 was the event that broke through my self-imposed failure to dream. (Chris: you’ve met her, you can see how she could drag me up to the front!!!)

Dreaming my sons would become competent musicians was a powerful, achieved dream. Dreaming of having grand-daughters, dreaming my little writing projects would someday lead me to having a published novel: A Novel! was a massive dream!

This month, Chapters has called me back for a second signing, since all their product sold out during the first one. I did a writers evening at the local library, which sold a couple of books and got me a Writers In Schools gig, And this week, my novel Three Wrongs placed first in paperback fiction sales at the local bookstore, ahead of Gone Girl. The Girl On The Train and JK Rowling’s detective novel.

My dreams are coming true before my eyes.


JAMES CROFOOT, author

It was like a high that lasted for weeks. It did happen to be writing. I had never worked harder for anything. I was even given my High school diploma after dropping out. the school board just gave it. When I got the email from Muse I sat and read it for a couple weeks. and then a magazine picked up my first freelance piece…justified.

BETH OVERMYER, author

My first dream to come true was to win a trophy for my 4-H cat project. I won first place for junior showmanship at my county fair, and I was THRILLED! The trophy was huge and pretty and oh so shiny. The next year, I went on to win second place in the knowledge portion for the senior cat competition, which was a bigger honor in my book...especially since the family veterinarian was there to witness my triumph.

But I think my biggest dream to come to was my first publication credit. I'd written a personal essay about how I murder stories, and The Coffee Press Journal published it. I remember squealing with delight and running into the kitchen shouting "I'm published! I'm published!" Of course, luck would have it that my dad was the only one home, and he didn't really hear very well. Not sure if he ever figured out what was going on.

DAWN KNOX, author

I'm really not an expert on dreaming dreams or on making them come true.

As a teenager, I dreamed of being a scientist and in order to achieve that, I was definitely not going to get married or have children.

And what actually happened? I met my husband when I was 17 and married at age 20. Twelve years later, I had a son.

And the dream of being a scientist? Yes, that came true but it really wasn't quite what I'd imagined and after I'd had my son, I was happy to stop working.

So, I'd dreamed of something that wasn't what I thought it would be and decided not to do the two things which I actually did and that have made my life so happy.
I then started writing and dreamed of having a book published, although I secretly doubted this would ever happen. Over several years, I was thrilled to have about a dozen short stories published but it was thanks to MuseItUp Publishing, that I had my first ebook published last year although I still dream of holding a book with my name on it, in my hands.

However, I never dreamed that I would write a script that would be performed by professional actors.

That would have been a dream too far!

But last year, that came true.

So, I managed to make a dream come true that I would never have had the courage to dream.

IONA BRODIE, MuseHOT author

I dream in Lego.

Each dream is a complete piece made up of hundreds of tiny bricks. Each brick is an action that moves me towards completion of the whole. When my project/dream is achieved I experience the warm satisfaction of a job well done.

I get frustrated with people obsessed by luck who throw up their hands and say that nothing good ever happens to them. The same people who do this say that I am lucky to have a novel published or to have been promoted at work. They fail to see that luck has nothing to do with achieving your dreams. It is all down to vision, planning and determination.

Of course, the wonderful thing about Lego is that if your dream is not what you thought it would be you can change it, add to it or even start again!


When I was a teenager I dreamed that one day I would be married and have children. I thought the marriage part would never happen and then I met my husband and we were married for almost 49 years. My dream of having children almost never happened and then it did after twelve and a half years of marriage we had a little girl and then a few years later we had another girl. I had only wanted two children so we stopped there.

When I started writing I never dreamed I would have a book published or that I would have two books published. When I first heard that my first novel, If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor was accepted for publication I realized my dream had come true. The thought I would be a published author and be grouped with all the authors I have ever read filled me with such joy!! I was just as excited when my second book, AFTER was accepted. Seeing it in print was almost too joyful!!

So as far as I’m concerned I got my dreams and now my dream is to have my book be in the Top 10 of Amazon. Maybe if everyone I know on Facebook and Twitter buys it that might come true. LOL



My dream was motherhood. It was a dream I never expected I wanted until it appeared it wouldn't happen. Then it was the dream which kept me awake at night heart-hurt. Life goes on. You check out options and make decisions. For us, it came to a small bathroom test at 1:23ish a.m. one night. Was it really saying I was? Yes, I was. The long story continues and will continue for years (powers willing and others not caring).

There's more dreams, there will also be dreams. The moment I stop dreaming is the moment I lose focus on who I am and why I'm here.

Musers...keep dreaming.



Thanks for joining us and see you next week!
  
 If you have a question or comment you’d like us to muse upon, do not hesitate to contact me Christine Steeves-Speakman  at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com

No comments: